Par meter may have saved the day.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That presentation was absolutely excellent.

I watched it many times as there’s a lot to absorb.
I rented a PAR meter right after watching, yup, very very over lit, had to reduce PAR everywhere by half.

I have employed all those ideas in your presentation and can’t be happier.

Thank you @Dana Riddle for a great piece of work.
Thanks you for the compliment. It's been 4 years since I moved back to Georgia. How time flies, but the lab construction is done, and corals are successfully growing in the reef tank. I would have never believed it would take as long as it has to get to the point where I can finally start research again.

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tjcmtnbiker did you just use the white and black wires and cap the ground (clear)? I also wanted to ask if you took the blue cap off but looks like you have.
Yes, I removed the hard plastic cap from the sensor and connected white and black wires to the multi meter leads with the clear wire to nothing.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I right to assume that BRS isnt renting them out anymore? May have to go the 120/multimeter route then...

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So am I right to assume that BRS isnt renting them out anymore? May have to go the 120/multimeter route then...
They are still available, just listed as Wet Tested and you return for a refund minus the $69.99 restocking fee.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still available, just listed as Wet Tested and you return for a refund minus the $69.99 restocking fee.

Thank you very much! I guess I just didn't understand before with the 500+ pricing, but the refund makes sense now.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that Dana Riddle talk and I'd have to agree, 200 PAR is all that is needed most of the time.

tenuis for me did not see proper coloring and growth until 350+ Par, I consider them the exception to the lower PAR, other sticks are growing fine in the 220+ range

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I removed the hard plastic cap from the sensor and connected white and black wires to the multi meter leads with the clear wire to nothing.
After discussing with the company, turns out I had the wrong setting. Need to have the multi meter set on 200 mV, not 200 mA as mentioned at the beginning of this thread... So works great for a much cheaper par meter option!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After discussing with the company, turns out I had the wrong setting. Need to have the multi meter set on 200 mV, not 200 mA as mentioned at the beginning of this thread... So works great for a much cheaper par meter option!
Easy fix.. Not sure How that was missed..
Most sensor designs involve converting the orig. signal to volts.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread. I was looking at doing the sq-120 connected to a multimeter hack. It was mentioned to take the blue cap off the sensor. I want to confirm it's OK to put the sensor in water without the cap.

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. You can check the specs on their site
This is a great thread. I was looking at doing the sq-120 connected to a multimeter hack. It was mentioned to take the blue cap off the sensor. I want to confirm it's OK to put the sensor in water without the cap.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back