Paracentopyge hybrid project

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to share one of our most ambitious projects that we are working on. This project will involve artificially hybridizing the multibar angelfish and the venuesta angelfish to create the famous hybrid, found here - https://reefbuilders.com/2016/10/16/multibar-venustus-hybrid-angelfish/. For the last couple years we have been working hard to acquire the broodstock, which has proven very difficult. Anyone that's tried getting multibar to survive will know what I'm talking about. Fortunately, with the help of Diver's Den, we were able to purchase a healthy pair of multibar from the Christmas islands. Our Venuesta pair was also purchased through Diver's Den as well.
20170131_190121_zpslmqojhwp.jpg

20170130_204518_zps6zj0jlsg.jpg

Both pairs are kept separately. I've seen other angelfish breeders house multibar and venuesta together in hopes they'll hybridize naturally, however I don't think this will ever work. Angelfish are pretty smart when it comes to picking their mates. I could see the potential for hybridization if two pairs spawned in the same system, however the odds of raising the one or two hybridized eggs in the batch are pretty slim. We had to come up with a better method.

For a few months, we worked with Joculator angelfish collected out of a client's reef tank. During our collection trials we found ways to collect the eggs with near 0% fertility, and other methods that allowed near 100% fertility. We plan to apply these methods with the paracentropyge to hybridize entire spawns.

Here's a video of a joculator angelfish that we nearly raised.

The multibar angelfish have already started courtship, so we are hoping to see eggs very soon.
20170211_215104_zpssqg9twik.jpg

I'll update this thread as we go, hopefully we have exciting updates soon!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is just amazing to me on many levels. Can't wait to follow along!

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awesome! I'd also love to see a thread about how you bred the jocs!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love seeing little baby fish!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be pretty sweet ... The hybrid is really remarkable, but even the idea of having any Paracentropyge that's already well-acclimated is worth the effort!

~Bruce, who loves multibars . . .

skiingfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope these fish never make it into the wild as it will destroy natural ecosystems.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Is it a trade secret how you plan to remove unfertilised eggs?

Back