Paracentropogon zonatus 1st impressions

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aka pygmy red rooster waspfish, red bandtail waspfish. I know I said I was finished with new additions, these had been on my list for a couple of years and this trio was at a lfs, so i picked them up. I have seen questions regarding these guys from time to time, and frustratingly no one ever gives a follow up report on how they made out. I definitely believe these guys have a very high mortality rate. So far they have been very challenging to feed. These would definitely be recommended for an advanced hobbyist or someone really willing to put the effort in.

They are scorpionfish, so I opted to not use any medication at all, that also means no prazi pro or general cure. I have never successfully used any med on a scorpionfish, every time I had to remove the meds due to stress and breathing difficulties. The 2 scorps that did survive treatment died very shortly afterwards, one I had for over a year and his tankmate needed the meds. Like all scorps this will mean risking the chance of internal parasites.

They've shown no interest in dead food; brine, mysis, artic pods, reef cavier. They also show no interest in live brine shrimp. Oh yeah, these guys are tiny, about 3/4". Full size is between 2 and 2.5", These guys seem like they would right at home in a nano, 10 to 14g. So far they have been strictly bottom travelers, tucked under a ledge and just scooting over slightly elevated rocks. The male has tended to be more adventurous, even venturing into the open sand flats. They are spending most of their time in solitary, while the females have not hung out at all, they also have not shown any aggression toward each other. The male does seem to prefer 2(hehe), he has spent some time visiting both females. Their red and white coloring changes, either with mood or a type a camouflage.

While they have been difficult and shy to feed, they have eaten some live black worms. The male has eaten some very small guppies, while one of the females has tried to catch some ghosties, but they were too large. I ordered some amphipods/copepods from Aquarium Depot; this would be a good plan to have a tank stocked with these if you were to get a pair. I do see them as pairs on DD from time to time. One of the females has become quite personable, she lives in a cavern that I can barely see her, when I walk up to tank, she scoots right over the rocks and comes up me. She comes up eat the worms from tongs, it's very cure.

These guys are adorable but the verdict is out on my overall opinion. It's only been a week, and this is my 1st impressions. I'll do some follow up as they mature in their new home. Here;s some pics, 1st pic is the male, notice the spikes of dorsal fin compared to the 2nd pic, a female.
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
024.jpg
026.jpg

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute little guys, good luck with them

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The girls, displaying a little more white today. They are both little piggies when it comes to the black worms, the male not interested today. Eventually I'll go into every other day feeding, then maybe even every third day when they get some size on them. The girl with the pink head comes up and even swims up to take the worms from my tweezers, very cool. These guys will have to be spot fed, whether with tweezers, a pipette, or a feeding stick with a fishing line to poke small bits of chunky food. They would not thrive in a tank being broadcast fed, they don't travel into the water column to compete, and would only catch what swirls around at the bottom.

001.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool looking fish. :) Any suitable tankmates with this species?

As long as their needs are considered, any peaceful nano tank inhabitants would be suitable. They are too small with too small of a mouth to be a threat. I only do predator tanks now but if I were keeping nano reefs again, I would put a pink streaked wrasse and a blue assessor or any like that. I wouldn't put anything that might pick on them, the bully might get the end of a venomous spike.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome write up! I've been seeing these guys pop up at my Lfs just lately and am very curious

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous, these are good looking little fish. Red, white, and pink, with gold and sparkles on the pectoral fins. They are shy, tucked away most of the time, staying mainly in a small territory. So far they are proven to solitary, they are in a 40B and have literally cut the tank in 3rds; one to the right, one to the left, and one in the center. They are still challenging to feed, the girls are enjoying the live black worms while the male is still elusive to eat. He looks fat so he;s getting something. The tank is also home to a small fuzzy lion. So the tank gets a heavy dose of live ghosties and guppies, various sizes. I put a 1000 amphipod/copepod mixture in today, I saw the girls chasing them down, but again the male a bit more elusive.

Tank set up ideas and acclimation suggestions: I would recommend initially putting them in a qt/observation tank, or a tank that you turn the pumps off and target feed to see what they will eat. A small nano species tank would be good for a pair of group. While I have seen pairs on DD, I wonder if they are actually bonded or just a male and female they put together. My 3 are staying more solitary rather than social, while they do cross paths, i have seen no aggression. As an addition to a nano tank with peaceful nano fish would also be a good plan. I would plan to have the tank supplied with pods upon arrival to hold them over until you get them eating. Plan to turn the pumps off and target feed.

This might be my favorite, she is also quite bold, in comparison that is.
003.jpg
006.jpg

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for this write-up, lion king. i strongly resisted the urge to pick up a pair of these from DD (and i'm glad i did), while i continue to read-up and familiarize myself more & more with their specific needs.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my Waterbox 70:2. They are mostly nocturnal and tend to both kind under the same rock.
I had a pair a few years ago that lived for about two years.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my Waterbox 70:2. They are mostly nocturnal and tend to both kind under the same rock.
I had a pair a few years ago that lived for about two years.

So you've had 2 pairs, so what have you liked about keeping them. What do they eat and how are feeding them. Mine have noticeably grown so they are eating. They haven't eaten any dead food in front of me, but it doesn't mean they don't scavenge around. They seem to like live black worms. I don't see much of them or than seeing them under the rocks they call home. When I turn the pumps off to feed, they do come scurrying out and will take the worms from the tweezers.
004.jpg

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine frozen PE mysis. My current pair has taken to frozen fairly well. My initial two took considerably longer to wean to frozen (I fed them small enriched ghost shrimp).

I feed fairly heavy so I typically do not have to target feed them.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating PE mysis and live black worms, easily and consistently, I do target feed. Check out the fat belly on the male. I did see the females get into it a bit today, they are in a large enough tank for that not to matter much. I would be careful of same sexes in a smaller tank. I'm feeding them 2, maybe 3 times a week, they let me know when they are hungry by coming out more. There's probably left over they scavenge. They will feed right from the tweezers and pipette.
006.jpg
004.jpg

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating PE mysis and live black worms, easily and consistently, I do target feed.

my main tank is 180G. i would love to have a pair if these in there (rather than a separate small set-up for them), but my biggest concern has been making sure they get enough to eat.

it’s a fairly quiet tank: gobies, a lawnmower blenny, firefish, mandarins, banggai cardinals, a copperband butterfly, a single spot foxface; various chromis, a pair of midnight angels, various ornamental Ancylomenes & Periclemenes shrimp & other inverts.

aside from the copperband and the foxface*, i prefer small fish to maximize scale of the aquascape.

@lion king, so re: target feeding, if i house a pair in a 10G QT for a month and train them to feed exactly foods like frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp & live black worms from a long coral feeder, i can expect the transfer over to a 180G to go reasonably well (in the sense that i can be assured they’re eating in such a large tank as they’ll recognize the coral feeder).

any concerns i may have missed? ;Bookworm

* i gave in and acquired a foxface to keep heavy growth of caulerpa in check; repeated attempts to introduce sea hares failed. :(

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my main tank is 180G. i would love to have a pair if these in there (rather than a separate small set-up for them), but my biggest concern has been making sure they get enough to eat.

it’s a fairly quiet tank: gobies, a lawnmower blenny, firefish, mandarins, banggai cardinals, a copperband butterfly, a single spot foxface; various chromis, a pair of midnight angels, various ornamental Ancylomenes & Periclemenes shrimp & other inverts.

aside from the copperband and the foxface*, i prefer small fish to maximize scale of the aquascape.

@lion king, so re: target feeding, if i house a pair in a 10G QT for a month and train them to feed exactly foods like frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp & live black worms from a long coral feeder, i can expect the transfer over to a 180G to go reasonably well (in the sense that i can be assured they’re eating in such a large tank as they’ll recognize the coral feeder).

any concerns i may have missed? ;Bookworm

* i gave in and acquired a foxface to keep heavy growth of caulerpa in check; repeated attempts to introduce sea hares failed. :(

They do seem to learn a routine pretty quickly. But are tucked away most of the time, in a tank that large, you may never see them. They will come out to get my attention when they are hungry. And after learning the routine are not shy about coming right up and grabbing the food. I do turn the pumps off though, so I'm able to deposit food to them and give them time to eat. They are also eating Hikara mega marine, so given time I'm sure they'll eat plenty of what is offered.

If you are feeding mandarins, you'll have no trouble with guys, but they will compete for pods.

My only concern is you may not get to really enjoy them in such a large tank. Being more reclusive they literally could disappear in a 180g, eating pods and whatever food that swirls into the rocks. So you may introduce them and never see them again.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys really will make nice pets for the right hobbyist. At 1st I thought they were a bit high maintenance, but not really, they came around pretty quick. They learn a routine pretty quick and seem to take a variety of foods. They are reclusive but do have their moments of extreme cuteness. While in a heavily fed tank they may be able to fend for themselves, I do highly recommend target feeding.

003.jpg
004.jpg
002.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back