OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would love to know where you go them. I would love 3. im in NJ.

A lfs got them for me. These are a rare find, many times not even listed as they are just offered to those that put out feelers. Ask your lfs if they can find some for you. You can also fill out request forms online, it's been so long since I've done that I don't have any recommendations. If your lfs has a good contact they can put out feelers and may get a hit.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone knows the lifespan of these fish?

I have a couple in a 200 gallon tank and they're easy to find when it's feeding time. They are not shy at all during feeding.

Unfortunately the female has been egg bound for at least 8 months but she remains lively (for wasp standards).

One of my heraldi angels confuses them with cleaner shrimp and it annoys the wasps.

Are they big enough to be safe with dwarf lions?

Do you have an update on yours?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately she only lasted about 6 months after she became eggbound. She did not appear to suffer until the last day though.

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any time to dm me? I think one of my brackish water waspfish has dropsy and I don't know what would work best to treat them. I heard waspfish in general are sensitive to medications, do you have any reccomendations?
Also got 2 Roosters of my own now, I think they're seasonal around the end of summer. Thanks for the info and help.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had these guys 3 years now, I'd like to hear some long term stories. So far I know one guy that said he kept a couple for a couple of years. They are small, so in fish terms they will have a shorter lifespan, and who knows how old they were when collected. I've seen alot of new additions lately, I hope everyone is having success.

I feed them mostly 3 maybe 4 times a week, the white face girl always lets me know when she's hungry. She's the boldest, I literally only see a glimpse of the male every few weeks or more, he rarely comes out to feed. When I flush him out just to see if he's still alive, he looks fat enough, so he must be feeding on stray ghosties and what ever swirls into the rocks.

Here's the white face girl snagging some ghosties. I feed ghosties 2-3 times a month or when there's some extra small ones in my lion's batch. They rarely get black worms anymore and my source is frequently out. They mainly eat pe mysis, Hikari mega marine, minced silverfish, and minced combo of salmon, scallop, and shrimp.

Last edited:

Sun_Queen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she looks great! I just got one this week funnily enough, its actually pretty encouraging you've had yours for 3 years!
wasp.jpg

mine is probably ~1.5" and ate frozen food like a champ right away (I turn off all the pumps and target feed)

Attachments

• wasp.jpg
    wasp.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 26

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she looks great! I just got one this week funnily enough, its actually pretty encouraging you've had yours for 3 years!
wasp.jpg

mine is probably ~1.5" and ate frozen food like a champ right away (I turn off all the pumps and target feed)
Beautiful. Do you just saltwater acclimate freshwater ghosties or just drop them right in?

vv_gtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ended up with a couple of these fish this weekend and was trying to see if anyone was keeping them :) My OG love story for this fish is still one of the only ones out there so I'm stoked to see someone else who likes them as much! I actually had mine until the great TX freeze a couple years ago, so she was at least 7 when 4 days of no circulation or heat did her in :(

I bought all three the LFS had, since they looked skinny but did eat frozen mysis. One died that night - not sure if my flame hawk took exception to her (pretty sure they are all females, since the combs are short) or if she just wasn't gonna make it regardless. I moved the other two out of my 65G since they picked hiding places the other fish just wouldn't let any food get to - and now they're in my 10G former "I'll breed copepods" tank before the amphipods took over.

They seem to be picking at frozen and I definitely saw one of them go after an amphipod so I'll be restocking pods in there since blackworms are so hard to come by.

Any pro tips on temp and flow in a smaller tank? I'm running a wheel HOB on it, and have a small circ pump, but it definitely creates a ton of flow - and these two are still pretty small. My main tank usually runs around 76*, but since these two are currently just hanging out with a ragtag CUC and pods, they get to set the tank parameters :)

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ended up with a couple of these fish this weekend and was trying to see if anyone was keeping them :) My OG love story for this fish is still one of the only ones out there so I'm stoked to see someone else who likes them as much! I actually had mine until the great TX freeze a couple years ago, so she was at least 7 when 4 days of no circulation or heat did her in :(

I bought all three the LFS had, since they looked skinny but did eat frozen mysis. One died that night - not sure if my flame hawk took exception to her (pretty sure they are all females, since the combs are short) or if she just wasn't gonna make it regardless. I moved the other two out of my 65G since they picked hiding places the other fish just wouldn't let any food get to - and now they're in my 10G former "I'll breed copepods" tank before the amphipods took over.

They seem to be picking at frozen and I definitely saw one of them go after an amphipod so I'll be restocking pods in there since blackworms are so hard to come by.

Any pro tips on temp and flow in a smaller tank? I'm running a wheel HOB on it, and have a small circ pump, but it definitely creates a ton of flow - and these two are still pretty small. My main tank usually runs around 76*, but since these two are currently just hanging out with a ragtag CUC and pods, they get to set the tank parameters :)

Tropical temp range seems fine. My heater is set around 75 but the tank gets to about 80 in the summer. I forgot to turn the tank back on just the other night after pipette feeding. Forgot all night and the next day, tank was 69 degrees when I started it back up. Threw some live ghosties in, and they went right to it, they are kind of tough once they get settled in. I don't think they care for high flow, but being bottom dwellers I don't think they would be bothered by much. But if you want them out in the open I wouldn't blast them.

They will love amphipods, are you kidding. Probably the best thing to get them acclimated until they start taking other foods. I actually like these guys in smaller tanks. Have you seen my other thread on these guys.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine got him in May, I was told in that they have a very slow metabolism and to feed him once a week.

Love him, I just moved him to my new 13g fluval. Will defiantly look for a female.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine got him in May, I was told in that they have a very slow metabolism and to feed him once a week.

Love him, I just moved him to my new 13g fluval. Will defiantly look for a female.

I've been feeding mostly every other day, while they do have a slower metabolism, they are small and will use their resources much faster than a larger scorp. Once they become acclimated to you, they'll let you know, sometimes it goes every 3 days. Once a week will not be enough for this small scorp, underfeeding will take time but they will wither away over time.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding mostly every other day, while they do have a slower metabolism, they are small and will use their resources much faster than a larger scorp. Once they become acclimated to you, they'll let you know, sometimes it goes every 3 days. Once a week will not be enough for this small scorp, underfeeding will take time but they will wither away over time.
Thank you for your input, always appreciate it. I was trying to feed him more often but he is not really interested. but defiantly will keep trying. He is eating live and frozen.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input, always appreciate it. I was trying to feed him more often but he is not really interested. but defiantly will keep trying. He is eating live and frozen.

He will show, he is apparently getting enough by refusing. Each fish will be different from their activity and individuality. My one female is a pig always begging, my male disappears for weeks and must just be eating what swirls around. I've just known alot of people that to me, seem to apparently starve them. I would base twice a week and work from there.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back