Parameter advice

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I checked my numbers and found my alk at 5.2. I slowly raised my alk to 8.0 in a weeks time frame. Ever since my cal has stayed at 470 and mag at 1480-1500. I dose 12 ml of alk daily to keep my alk at 8.0. My question is how do I get my cal and mag to drop to ideal levels ? The only thing that seems to deplete is my alk.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry to much about Calcium at 470. Especially with Mag being where it is. Most important at this point is stability. Keeping Alk within the range you have set for yourself, and continuing to monitor is the key.
My bet is you will see Calcium start to drop once the corals settle in..

Last edited:
OP
OP
khushtram

khushtram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to keep it level at 8.0. Keep doing what I am doing until cal and mag start dropping ? I have kept mainly softies the last 4 years and just recently moved to a lps dominant tank so keeping stable params was never a issue for me.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Just keep dosing 12ml of Alk and Ca like you already are. (When you say you're dosing 12ml, I take it you're talking about dosing 2-part.) The Ca and Mg will drop slowly over time as you do water changes and/or coral growth consumes them. (Unless of course your salt mix has a Ca of 470 or higher to begin with.)

Corals consume alk far quicker than calcium or magnesium. So yes, alk can drop a significant amount without causing a very big corresponding drop in calcium.

And just an FYI: 470 Ca perfectly fine. It can typically go as high as 600 without causing any real problems.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to keep it level at 8.0. Keep doing what I am doing until cal and mag start dropping ? I have kept mainly softies the last 4 years and just recently moved to a lps dominant tank so keeping stable params was never a issue for me.

Honestly a lot of people that keep any sps would probably prefer the elevated mag and Cal, and those typically drop on their own.
I have had way higher mag at times on purpose, it's not harmful.

You may see coraline algae come quickly w/ this level

Your alk adjustment was a little quicker than what I probably would have done, but that's done, just keep it close to where it is from now on.

Alk swings are what we would focus more on trying to avoid.

Back