Parameter Assistance

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system, from reading. The system has been set off fairly recently?? Sand bed?? May I ask what you are feeding?
  • System age; newer system will have some die off from the rock work to just cycling, this will cause ammonia spikes
  • Sand bed; food get trapped in newer system until the bio load is established
  • Feeding; food that has not been consumed will decay and create ammonia spikes
  • Dying; critters pass will cause spikes

Run some carbon to bring down the ammonia and nitrites. I did not see what ammonia test you are using.

It sounds like you are very busy, try a probiotic salt so the the waste will be converted to food for the corals or be exported from your system via mechanical filtration(skimmer)

If you are running filter socks, food may be getting trapped in the socks, causing an ammonia spike.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other suggestion, while you are picking up the phosphate reagent if you are not testing calcium and magnesium, test those too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back