Parameters off

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 32 gal bio cube tank I only have two clownfish in it . It's a little over 6 weeks old . The first two weeks were fine ,but now my parameters are off nitrites 0.50 nitrates 50 ammonia about 0.25 I do water changes I put more nitrifing bacteria in tank ,I use RODI water, also I do have algae on the rocks . I still cant get the numbers right . Doe anyone have a suggestion?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things aren't quite cycled yet. Don't put any faith in the Nitrate reading, since the presence of nitrite throws off the measurement. Just watch the ammonia and nitrite, testing maybe once every day. If they get too high, change some water. FYI, a certain brand of ammonia test kit looks like 0.25ppm to some peoples' eyes, when it's actually zero.

It's not ideal to have fish in a tank that isn't fully cycled, but the clowns can handle 0.25 ammonia, and nitrite isn't that toxic.

Good luck.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reading of 0.25 ammonia always makes me assume this is being done with an API master test kit. They're not terribly reliable or accurate.

Some water conditioners can also cause false readings for ammonia.

Nitrates of 50 could be a little high, could be because of the Nitrite like nereefpat said. Just take your time, relax, and keep doing your water changes. You're dealing with biology and chemistry, and sometimes that just takes a patient regular routine to help it towards the end result.

OP
OP
P

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reading of 0.25 ammonia always makes me assume this is being done with an API master test kit. They're not terribly reliable or accurate.

Some water conditioners can also cause false readings for ammonia.

Nitrates of 50 could be a little high, could be because of the Nitrite like nereefpat said. Just take your time, relax, and keep doing your water changes. You're dealing with biology and chemistry, and sometimes that just takes a patient regular routine to help it towards the end result.
thank you ,helpful

OP
OP
P

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things aren't quite cycled yet. Don't put any faith in the Nitrate reading, since the presence of nitrite throws off the measurement. Just watch the ammonia and nitrite, testing maybe once every day. If they get too high, change some water. FYI, a certain brand of ammonia test kit looks like 0.25ppm to some peoples' eyes, when it's actually zero.

It's not ideal to have fish in a tank that isn't fully cycled, but the clowns can handle 0.25 ammonia, and nitrite isn't that toxic.

Good luck.
thankyou for the info.

OP
OP
P

pippol01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck.
thankyou.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back