Parameters to check on FOWLER 25 gal tank

masja205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!!

I am looking to get into setting up a reef aquarium and decided I am only interested in a FOWLR in a 25 gal nano tank (waterbox 25 mini peninsula) with ~9kg of rock and substrate. I intend on doing regular weekly water changes and test for salinity using HANNA salinity tester..

I am a bit confused on what I must need to test with other water params when preparing for cycling the tank and the ongoing routine for testing (if necessary?) for a tank size that small with the intention of housing 3-4 reef fish?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers,
J

OP
OP
M

masja205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia nitrate phosphate
Thank you :) just wanting to confirm, is this suggestion for while it's cycling?

For cycling period, I am planning on picking up the API test kit that covers tests for:
pH (6.0 – 7.6)
High Range pH (7.4 – 8.8)
Ammonia
Nirtite
Nitrate

After its been cycled, are there tests I need to continue or introduce? and whats the risk of not testing at all after cycling?

Apologies for the noob questions, Brand new to the hobby eh

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API kits are pretty inaccurate. If you’re able get the Hanna ones. For high range nitrate ,low range phosphate. You really should test weekly even after cycling. Also keep eye on salinity. After cycling nitrite does not matter

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even test on my fish only tank, just regular water changes every 1-2 weeks, that takes care of everything.

If you really wanted to test something, I would test only the nitrate, nitrate is harmful to fish when it gets around 80-100, I would not let it get above 30 or 40 myself, but if you're doing regular water changes then you will be well within the limits for fish only.

OP
OP
M

masja205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah yea thats what I was thinking too.. is there a test kit that you would recommend that wont break the bank but give me the readings I need? :)

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah yea thats what I was thinking too.. is there a test kit that you would recommend that wont break the bank but give me the readings I need? :)
Yes. The API test that everyone hates. They will be fine for your set up.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried as there are reviews the API test kit isnt accurate
The folks keeping high end sps corals want more control over their results. Fish only with water changes you really don't need much testing after the first cycle. API is accurate within parameters, just not fine tuned.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back