Parameters to check on FOWLER tank

praveen85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM everyone, What are the parameters to check on a routine basis once the tank is cycled and new fishes are added. It’s a FOWLR tank at least for 6-8 months.How often are these tests recommended. Thanks

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GM everyone, What are the parameters to check on a routine basis once the tank is cycled and new fishes are added. It’s a FOWLR tank at least for 6-8 months.How often are these tests recommended. Thanks
Only the followings are needed

Ammonia, salinity, and ph

If ph is off, check alk & magnesium

If ammonia is high, change water.

Upvote 0

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 300 FOWLR I've had for many years. I occasionally take a sample to the LFS for one of there automated tests. My nitrates are always above 100, the fish don't care and I have a large number of tangs in the tank to keep the algae in control. I do notice the PH getting low and have found if I dose ALK and keep the ALK around 7 my PH consistently stays above 8.1. You may want to consider a dosing pump to dose the ALK to keep that PH up. But to be honest my fish look and act the same regardless of the PH :).

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is the only essential parameter, however absolute accuracy is not that important as fish are quite adaptable.

Nitrate and Phosphate are handy to keep excess algae growth under control,. unless you have animals who devour it.

Upvote 0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and temperature are the most important parameters to maintain in fish only systems.

Nutrients aren’t important to maintain FOWLR tanks because the light shouldn’t be longer than 4 hours a day. If you find algae grows too much, cut back on the lights. Nothing in the tank that you care about will need lights to survive.

Upvote 0

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have kept FO and reef tanks for over 30 years. I HAVE Never tested the water in My FO tanks ever. I rely on knowledge and observation of the tanks. Do the fish appear well, No disease, no stress, no inordinate amount of algae etc .I use excellent skimming, Carbon and small water changes every 4 to 6 weeks if that, That works for me. Currently, My 125 FO is going on 4 years with multiple Angels, some damsels and clowns ,one Niger trigger and one Carribean tang. Well established and the only things the Fish care about is when is Dinner. LOL

Upvote 0

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR.... I test mine once a year or if something doesn't look right. Seriously... once it becomes a self-sustaining ecosystem, there really is not much for you to really do. Mostly I check salinity every few months, and a full level check yearly. My tank has been up and running for 5 years now and I can not remember the last time I did a water change.

Honestly I had to just look and see if my testing stuff is still in date. IT's not, but the powder is not clumped, so it should still be ok

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back