White mold looking substance growing on equipment

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm new to saltwater and this is my first saltwater tank, this is my 50 Gallon that's on Day 20 of its cycle, I've used Dr Tims one and only Nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride to start my cycle on Day 1, this evening I noticed this white mould looking stuff growing on my equipment such as wavemaker and heater etc. I was wondering what it is. I understand my tank is still cycling due to my readings and there are no fish added to the tank, I will not be adding fish to the tank for at least another 2 weeks or until cycle has finished. If there's any parameters you would suggest I test, then I will go out and buy the test kit, I only have lights on for photos and the lights have been off all the cycle. Many Thanks for any help

20240118_191736.jpg 20240118_191740.jpg 20240118_191749.jpg 20240118_191839.jpg Screenshot_20240118_192739_AquaticLog.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

Your tank is new and going through its initial stages; be patient.

sponges are growing. normal part of the process, considering your tank is fairly new. should go away on its own

I'm not so sure you are seeing true sponges forming, but maybe I am wrong. I think you are seeing a biofilm from beneficial bacteria developing on your pumps, etc., which is totally normal for a new tank.

There are many ways to expedite the cycle process, but my advice would be to just take it slowly and let it happen. It happens naturally in 4-8 weeks, and you don't have to do anything but be patient :)

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

Your tank is new and going through its initial stages; be patient.

I'm not so sure you are seeing true sponges forming, but maybe I am wrong. I think you are seeing a biofilm from beneficial bacteria developing on your pumps, etc., which is totally normal for a new tank.

There are many ways to expedite the cycle process, but my advice would be to just take it slowly and let it happen. It happens naturally in 4-8 weeks, and you don't have to do anything but be patient :)

I hope that helps!
Any help is appreciated, many thanks

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help is appreciated, many thanks
I'm not an expert, but I think that white stuff is is just a biofilm (made by beneficial bacteria in your tank) that's totally normal and nothing to worry about. If you don't like it, you can remove your pumps and clean them with freshwater and a clean scrubby. If it's stubborn stuff, use a little vinegar or citric acid, but I think at 20 days in that's just a biofilm, and freshwater and a scrubby should do it. Either way, I think you're doing just fine.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
look closer to where the wire is. the connection between the pump/wire. there are a few sponges forming there :). everything else is biofilm as you stated

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the film I wasn't to worried about, thats over all the equipment in tank, it was just the mould looking stuff growing randomly, I couldn't find much on Google about it either, I understand its early days and I know its a hobby of time and patience.

Is there any particular parameters you guys would recommend for fish only with live rock or just the parameters I'm already testing

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there any particular parameters you guys would recommend for fish only with live rock or just the parameters I'm already testing
for a FOWLR tank you don't need to worry about ALK/CAL/MAG very much, or at all. focus on temp, salinity, and nitrate/phosphate.

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iit looks like you are dosing too much Alkalinity or something, and that's the aftermath.
I have not dosed anything to the tank, breakdown of the tank is as follows, setup with dry rock, aragonite sand, I own 4 stage RODI unit, water reading 0 TDS when filled up, using Iquatics Pro reef salt, started cycle day 1 using Dr Tims all in one Nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride, now on day 21

OP
OP
rdwright27

rdwright27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like sand dust. can you blow it off with a baster? did you pre-rinse your sand?
Sand was rinsed prior in RODI but water was still a little cloudy when filled up, it won't blow off, looking closely it looks like a film cover everything including rock and even on glass and silicone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back