Parameters

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with bringing my calcium up it’s testing at like 380 and from what I understand I need to be in the 420-440 range

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple questions.
1. How are you measuring your calcium?
2. What are your other parameters?
3. What size tank?

OP
OP
C

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef master test kit and 240g display with 80g sump

Attachments

• 00FFFEB1-808E-4882-8343-7CC9904C6118.jpeg
    00FFFEB1-808E-4882-8343-7CC9904C6118.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 23
  • F57715FA-E7E0-435D-850B-AC82F24911AF.jpeg
    F57715FA-E7E0-435D-850B-AC82F24911AF.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 30
  • 3846DF16-4829-47D3-990A-16CB2A794841.jpeg
    3846DF16-4829-47D3-990A-16CB2A794841.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 75EF3F95-0569-43DC-84A1-DFC3D8AEC07C.jpeg
    75EF3F95-0569-43DC-84A1-DFC3D8AEC07C.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with bringing my calcium up it’s testing at like 380 and from what I understand I need to be in the 420-440 range

380 is fine. Tell us more about your tank such as age, types of corals, other parameters if you want more help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 year old and all my parameters are posted but I’m gonna repost them shortly those was taken right before a water change

Makes it much easier if you post the numbers, not pictures.

An alkalinity value is also essential for a reef aquarium.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 year old and all my parameters are posted but I’m gonna repost them shortly those was taken right before a water change
There shouldn't be detectable ammonia in your tank if it is 1.5 years old unless something large died. Especially in such a large tank. I would suspect a testing error.

With regard to the original question of calcium, if you started with a salt that had Ca say at 420, and did not do any water changes, you would see your numbers decrease as it got consumed by your corals and such.

If you were doing regular water changes, your Ca will still drop over time (just not quite as fast) as water changes alone will be unable to keep up with Ca consumption (assuming you have corals). If you were using salt with elevated parameters (ala IO Reef Crystals), you might be able to keep up with larger water changes.

That being said Ca @ 380 is within a reasonable range. However, many reef keepers like to keep Ca higher.

As mentioned, Ca should be kept in balance with Alk (and other parameters).

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API test kit you are using isn’t the ideal test kit for keeping a reef tank. As mentioned above, you need to test alkalinity in addition to calcium. Also, most reefers don’t measure ammonia once the tank is cycled unless you suspect a problem. With API, it is common to get an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm when the actual reading is 0ppm.

We do need to know more about what you have in your tank before we can give you any advice that is worthwhile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API test kit you are using isn’t the ideal test kit for keeping a reef tank. As mentioned above, you need to test alkalinity in addition to calcium. Also, most reefers don’t measure ammonia once the tank is cycled unless you suspect a problem. With API, it is common to get an ammonia reading of 0.25 ppm when the actual reading is 0ppm.

We do need to know more about what you have in your tank before we can give you any advice that is worthwhile.
Nothing crucial as I’m coming back from a crash I’m 6 months to the good with parameters not fluctuating so fish only with a couple dozen mushrooms, a plate fungi and inverts such as shrimp hermit crabs snails and one urchin

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing crucial as I’m coming back from a crash I’m 6 months to the good with parameters not fluctuating so fish only with a couple dozen mushrooms, a plate fungi and inverts such as shrimp hermit crabs snails and one urchin
With that type of coral load, I would just watch your calcium uptake. As long as it stays stable, no need to start dosing. If you intend to start adding more/harder corals, I would recommend investing in Salifert or RedSea test kits for Alk,CALC,Mag, and NO3. You should also consider a refractometer for salinity if you aren’t already using one and keep your calibration fluid fresh. . I would recommend the Hanna ULR PO4 checker as well. The only other thing I would recommend for now is to use a salt mix that has roughly the levels you are looking to keep. This will make water changes much easier as you venture into more corals.

OP
OP
C

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that type of coral load, I would just watch your calcium uptake. As long as it stays stable, no need to start dosing. If you intend to start adding more/harder corals, I would recommend investing in Salifert or RedSea test kits for Alk,CALC,Mag, and NO3. You should also consider a refractometer for salinity if you aren’t already using one and keep your calibration fluid fresh. . I would recommend the Hanna ULR PO4 checker as well. The only other thing I would recommend for now is to use a salt mix that has roughly the levels you are looking to keep. This will make water changes much easier as you venture into more corals.
I have salinity checker it’s been at 1.25 since I started and ph has always been 8.0-8.2 only thing I have recently change is I recently purchased a media reactor for phosphate and I run seagel which is for phosphate and carbon and the mushrooms are about the size of .50 piece

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have salinity checker it’s been at 1.25 since I started and ph has always been 8.0-8.2 only thing I have recently change is I recently purchased a media reactor for phosphate and I run seagel which is for phosphate and carbon and the mushrooms are about the size of .50 piece
The type of testers you are using matter. Is the salinity checker a hydrometer, refractometer or something else? Also, ph and Alk are two different things. To keep any type of stony coral, ie plate corals, hammers, acros you need to test for Alk.

OP
OP
C

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of testers you are using matter. Is the salinity checker a hydrometer, refractometer or something else? Also, ph and Alk are two different things. To keep any type of stony coral, ie plate corals, hammers, acros you need to test for Alk.
It’s an ATC refractometer

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn't be detectable ammonia in your tank if it is 1.5 years old unless something large died. Especially in such a large tank. I would suspect a testing error.

With regard to the original question of calcium, if you started with a salt that had Ca say at 420, and did not do any water changes, you would see your numbers decrease as it got consumed by your corals and such.

If you were doing regular water changes, your Ca will still drop over time (just not quite as fast) as water changes alone will be unable to keep up with Ca consumption (assuming you have corals). If you were using salt with elevated parameters (ala IO Reef Crystals), you might be able to keep up with larger water changes.

That being said Ca @ 380 is within a reasonable range. However, many reef keepers like to keep Ca higher.

As mentioned, Ca should be kept in balance with Alk (and other parameters).

To up your Ca, any 2-part comes with an Alk and Ca components. Adjust your levels with testing and then do balanced dosing.

For my tank, I'm just dosing Kalkwasser, which is a balanced supplement that also raises pH.

OP
OP
C

CaseyWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To up your Ca, any 2-part comes with an Alk and Ca components. Adjust your levels with testing and then do balanced dosing.

For my tank, I'm just dosing Kalkwasser, which is a balanced supplement that also raises pH.
Thanks sorry for all the confusion just trying to learn and quit throwing money away in the hobby

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks sorry for all the confusion just trying to learn and quit throwing money away in the hobby

Yeah. This hobby can be a money pit. Since you received a lot of testing advice, here are a couple thoughts...

You only really need to test what you plan on controlling.

Once you have everything dialed in and your maintenance routine, you typically don't need to test much.

With smaller tanks, it's very easy to do large water changes to help maintain optimal parameters. On larger tanks, you typically have to dose Ca/Alk. However, Ca is used in much less quantity then Alk. So you really just need to get your Alk/Ca to a spot you like; say like 9dKH and 420ppm and just monitor Alk to adjust dosing as consumption changes. It should also be noted that Ca tests are not as easy to perform and prone to being inaccurate.

So if you want to minimize costs, get your water tested at LFS to dial in parameters and just invest in an Alk Tester. I recommend Hanna Alk Tester.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back