patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 12/14/18
Equipment list:
Reefer XL 525
Hamilton Cebu Sun 2 x 250w Radiums MH & 4 x 54w T5 (four blue plus)
2 x XF250 Gyre's with controller (somehow changed my mind from WAV)
I have a Jebao DCT 15000 (3954gph) in my mixing station and a 6000 on my current tank, which may be enough. I'll be generating most the flow with the gyre's.
Finnex Heaters - 1 x 500w
40lbs Caribsea Life Rock + plus 40lbs live rock from current tank
Reef Octopus 202s
Vivid Aquatics Reef return upgrade with two 3/4" RFG
Fuge light - Cob LED Grow Light
Aqua UV 57W sterilizer

Good Morning everyone,

Well I won the Red Sea tank in the giveaway. I still can't believe it. Of course my build started shortly after finding out(and running around celebrating for 20mins). I was hoping that I would have a spot for the Peninsula, but unfortunately I just don't right now. Still, the 525 XL is an amazing tank.

Right now I'm lining up some people to purchase the equipment from my current setup that I will not use and that has gone pretty well considering it's been one day. Funds are low with a new baby and house, so I will be funding it from the sell off. So the wait begins for the tank to arrive. Here's my current list of items i'll be looking to get.

Neptune WAV - I'm going this route because I prefer the pumps on the back wall and they can be angled in several directions. I believe this should be good for an SPS dominated tank?

MH/T5 combo - this may prove more difficult as the light I was looking at has been discontinued. The search continues. I may have to build a canopy and diy this.

Rock/Sand?? - I'm in the air on sand for some reason, but will figure that out. I'm leaning towards dry rock since I have 20lbs of live and 20lbs of what was dry in my current tank. I'm hoping to move everything over somewhat swiftly.

Protein Skimmer - What's everyone using?

I have no LFS within a 2 hour drive, so I'm on my own. Dr. Tims and any other helpful bacteria I can add will be. Luckily I don't have a ton of money into corals yet, I'd just prefer to keep my three fish alive and the rest will come with time.

That all said, I will update when the tank arrives. In the meantime, post pics of your Reefer 525 XL, make recommendations on a smooth move and choice of skimmers. Experience with WAV.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the win!!

I’d recommend a ASM G3 skimmer. Not overly expensive and works well. There are modifications you can make to it as well.

Dry rock should be fine.

LED are probably best for a very modern tank but of course that’s up to you. I also find them to be more aesthetically appealing, as well as superior in function in many cases.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the winning.

For skimmers I have heard Deltec and Nyos are quite good for the money.
Dry rock should be fine as you will use the rocks from your current system.
For the light I personally like LED/T5 combo but if heat is not an issue then you can built a custom MH/T5 combo under canopy.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @4FordFamily on everything except one thing, depending on how much money u will spend on led's, if that's the route u will go, I would recommend going with a t5/led hybrid. You get the features of a led and the photo spectrum of the t5, and now with the aquatic life fixture it doesn't cost that much more. You can buy the t5 fixture ready to go with bulbs for around 350 dollars and add the led fixtures later. I have my t5 fixture arriving today and will install it this weekend

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on an epic win!

Check out page 1 of my build thread. Same tank. All equipment listed, not high end, no problems or issues.

I will be happy to answer any questions!

Can’t wait to see it come together for you!

OP
OP
reacclimating 2 the hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the win!!

I’d recommend a ASM G3 skimmer. Not overly expensive and works well. There are modifications you can make to it as well.

Dry rock should be fine.

LED are probably best for a very modern tank but of course that’s up to you. I also find them to be more aesthetically appealing, as well as superior in function in many cases.

Thank you, I will look into that skimmer. I'm currently using the Aquatic life t5/LED hybrid, but have mixed opinion on it.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I've had my best tanks with t5 only(ATI)... but that's just not in the budget. I like the fact that MH/T5 are both great lights and would love to see them together. After looking through @Broadfield build thread I really wanted the same light fixture. If I stay with what i'm using I need to get the larger Aquatic life and atleast one more radion. I already have a buyer lined up for the two I have so I plan to try something different. The tank is 60", so I figure I can get away with a 48" fixture and use the outsides for some LPS/Softies.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the t5 part, or the led choice?

I'm finding it difficult to find a spectrum that I like. This was the first time I've tried LEDs, but maybe I haven't given them enough time to grow on me.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding it difficult to find a spectrum that I like. This was the first time I've tried LEDs, but maybe I haven't given them enough time to grow on me.
Ok, gotcha. I'm going with XR15 G4 pros and 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus bulbs. Gonna try that out.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! So glad you started a thread for this. Sounds like your life is about to get very busy for many good reasons.
:)

Yes absolutely busy! Which is good, i'm not great at sitting still. That said, I wouldn't have this tank without the forum, so it's only right that I get input from some of the most experience hobbyist that are at everyone's disposal.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I've had my best tanks with t5 only(ATI)... but that's just not in the budget. I like the fact that MH/T5 are both great lights and would love to see them together. After looking through @Broadfield build thread I really wanted the same light fixture. If I stay with what i'm using I need to get the larger Aquatic life and atleast one more radion. I already have a buyer lined up for the two I have so I plan to try something different. The tank is 60", so I figure I can get away with a 48" fixture and use the outsides for some LPS/Softies.
I will have three Reefbrite XHO for sale soon, two 50/50 and an actinic in 60"! :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back