Pastor's First Reef Tank

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

I am a pastor of two small churches near Aiken, SC and also work as a health care company's chief financial officer.

I am beginning the process of setting up my first reef tank. I have maintained saltwater fish for many years at my office but have never owned or cared for a reef tank. The goal is to eventually have a 160 gallon or so tank in the living room, but to start a little lower on the learning curve (and to get my wife involved) I have ordered a Red Sea Max E 170.

It has been on back order but is scheduled for me to pick right after labor day. I have had some reef rock and marine pure sphere curing/cycling for a couple of weeks now. The are in a 20 gallon tank that I will later use for a quarantine tank.

The plan is to run the tank bare bottom and use beginner corals, ie zoas and softies along with three or four small fish. I have studied the pros and cons of the bare bottom tank and realize this is a hot topic issue. I have sand in my saltwater tank at work and just feel like I can keep a much cleaner tank without it. I do understand it will be harder to get started, but I have a good amount of live rock and will keep some marine pure in the overflow area as well.

I look forward to this adventure and any help is always appreciated.

Have a blessed day!
IMG_1885.JPG

... and so it begins...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks very nice so far, great start!
Shaun, that is a beautiful tank you have. Ill be sure to read through your thread in the next few days. Great start= pile of rocks and spheres and a rotting shrimp! Am I talented or what? Thanks for stopping by!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, that is a beautiful tank you have. Ill be sure to read through your thread in the next few days. Great start= pile of rocks and spheres and a rotting shrimp! Am I talented or what? Thanks for stopping by!

I wish I had the patience to start from scratch. I will take wet-rocks and a bit of the unknown every time

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the patience to start from scratch. I will take wet-rocks and a bit of the unknown every time
Jon I did that with my fish tank. Let’s see. We got a starfish an orange worm of some kind aptasia some kinda grass and some beautiful plant growth which my spiny shredded one night touring the tank. It was interesting but I swapped it out for some Pukani eventually.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following along!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you are off to a good start! Congratulations on your new system!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back