Pavona coral does nothing

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of Pavona frags in my tank, the first was bought a year ago, the rest 6 months ago. None of them have grown at all, they don't turn brown, don't bleach, nothing. They're just sitting there. However, my other sps are doing just fine. Some are growing faster than others, but they're growing, even my tricolor Acro. Most lps are doing fine as well.

The Pavonas have been everywhere. At the top, bit lower down, near the bottom, slightly shaded. I make progress pics every now and then, so I'm certain they're not doing anything at all.

Parameters:
Alk: ~ 8.3
Calc: 460
Magnesium: ~ 1700
Phosphates: 1.0
Nitrates: ~ 20

Now, I suspect the answer will be nutrients, and I'm dealing with those. What I do not understand though, is why it's just these that won't do anything at all, while my montis, acro, stylos etc. are doing fine. Any ideas?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species is it? Some species like frondifera and cactus grow at a good clip where as species like decussata and maldivensis tend to grow pretty slow.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do the darndest things. It is just likely that your system is not conducive to the growth of that particular coral. Take for example my system. I have SPS's that just grow and grow, and really almost all the rest of my corals are growing well but for the life of me, I cannot keep a chalice of any type alive. It's a mystery. I just don't even try to keep chalices any longer. Sometimes the system is telling us what we can or cannot keep. I know it's not an answer you may want but it is the only answer you may very well get. If you change things to meet the needs of your Pavona's you may very well create conditions no longer suitable to other inhabitants you already have or are looking to add.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do the darndest things. It is just likely that your system is not conducive to the growth of that particular coral. Take for example my system. I have SPS's that just grow and grow, and really almost all the rest of my corals are growing well but for the life of me, I cannot keep a chalice of any type alive. It's a mystery. I just don't even try to keep chalices any longer. Sometimes the system is telling us what we can or cannot keep. I know it's not an answer you may want but it is the only answer you may very well get. If you change things to meet the needs of your Pavona's you may very well create conditions no longer suitable to other inhabitants you already have or are looking to add.
Not what I was hoping for, but at least it's a possible cause and I'm fine with that. No more Pavona for me I guess.

Back