Pavona dying?

tingo.bingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My semi-new (2 month old) pavona cactus doesn't look good! Is this algae growing on it? It's low in tank (but high light) and has direct flow with random wave Red Sea Reef Wave 45.

Should I scrub algae off with tooth brush and move higher? Maybe stronger flow?

Tank parameters below.

IMG_2097.jpg

Salinity 1.025
Temp 76.9
ph 8.15
Alk 8.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5
Phosphate 0
Calcium 465
Mag 1360

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly it looks like low light levels, i've seen many die from low light and they always die from the bottom up and the skeleton turns dark like that. your polyps should be out and it should look very fuzzy, move it up to the top of the tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth skin pavona(mine happens to be an ORA mint chip pavona), I have one too along with a hairy pavona like the poster above me mentioned.

Hard to tell in the mostly blue pic to be honest. Can you get pic in whiter lighting?

OP
OP
T

tingo.bingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smooth skin pavona(mine happens to be an ORA mint chip pavona), I have one too along with a hairy pavona like the poster above me mentioned.

Hard to tell in the mostly blue pic to be honest. Can you get pic in whiter lighting?

I run two AI Prime 16s. I downloaded a preset from their website. Should I crank something up?

IMG_0B386C838733-1.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potato chip.like high to med.light and.flow.
Move.it.up
.turn.some.flow.up.

Check salinity and alk. Thanks
D
I would have to agree with this for the most part. Mine prefers high light and moderate flow. They do not have "polyps" so they rely on the flow to blow detritus off them.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two AI Prime 16s. I downloaded a preset from their website. Should I crank something up?

IMG_0B386C838733-1.jpeg
if you're looking to just take a pic, on the home screen select LIGHTS ON and then select a time from the drop down (1 min will work for a quick pic) then it'll automatically fall back to the schedule.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get bushy or fluffy. Have hairs just like the new jf pavona. Its just all mostly green so hard to see.
They are happy when they are all fluffy or full.
D

OP
OP
T

tingo.bingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're looking to just take a pic, on the home screen select LIGHTS ON and then select a time from the drop down (1 min will work for a quick pic) then it'll automatically fall back to the schedule.

Odd, did what you said and the image is still somewhat blue. You can still see the algae on the coral... hopefully he fights back a bit with more flow and light?

I moved him as high as he'll go and in front of my reef wave. The reef wave is vertical as it seems almost TOO powerful at the top of the tank. iPhone 11.

IMG_2099.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back