pavonas-orange and green

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 2 cheap pavonas. I'm testing out my tank now that my monster leather is gone to see if sps and lps will survive--previously, nothing but softies (leather toadstool huge, clowns hosted, and it was constantly irritated so I think it was dumping toxins in tank). Duncan very happy and galaxea looks good. Just wondering about the orange
20210804_164137.jpg
20210804_164159.jpg

The green one looks as good as it did in the lfs. The orange isn't "out" as much. More than yesterday. I think it is an orange maldivensis pavona. From what I've read, it likes lower light than the greens.

I think it has good flow. The Green one just above it I can see the polyps moving in the current. The orange no. It was up with the green and I lowered it. 1 powerhead above it is on stream. Rest on either surge or wave. Surge I think (3 of them)
Lights are 70%blue 12% white
No3 between 10-20
Po 4 between .06 and .1
Cal 380
Alk 9.4

How much will it open? Does it need to go lower?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to get feedback on my pavona. Moved the orange down slightly. It doesn't open more than this. I read the orange prefer lower light. Any experience pavona keepers? The green is looking super nice. Do I keep moving it
lower or try back higher?
20210806_152113.jpg
20210806_152119.jpg
20210806_152138.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pavonas as a general rule are quite adaptable and should do well in well lighted locations with moderate/moderate-high flow, but can also tolerate somewhat lower lighting.

I've had a Pavona maldivensis sitting in around 180 - 220 PAR from LEDs for over a decade now. If you keep it in lower light, just feed it a bit more often (maybe 2x week or so). They will eat larger foods and eat much more readily than most other Pavona species that rely mainly on their zooxanthellae's photosynthetically derived products as well as direct absorption of in-tank nutrients.

I also have a 'Mint Green Pavona' that's even older. My particular specimen does well in 130 - 150 PAR and feeding it directly hasn't been necessary as it just grows...and grows.

Here you can see the Maldivensis up top with it's 'Lumpy Boulder' style of growth (some varieties will branch more) and the Mint Green tends to plate, throw up verticle blades and generally ooze it's way into every nook and cranny (this one has wrapped itself in a band more than half way around this main bommie rock:

12g Nano Both Pavonas_071821.jpg

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nano sapiens Thanks, that helps as does seeing your pic. My green one is so fuzzy looking, I wasn't sure what the orange should look like. Looks like they aren't long tentacled at all, j ust short round circles.

After noticing that once whites came on, it wasn't as "out", I moved it to the sandbed. I'll keep it there and observed. in 2 months, it will get moved to a new tank, so hoping it settles and thrives.

what do you feed? I've used the red sea AB, and reef roids. Will feed a combo tomorrow

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back