PayPal Scam

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this here because off topic does not not show up on the main page and alot of us use PayPal. Well there is a scam. I have received a couple emails from these people. The email looks real saying your account is restricted till you log in and verify it. If you look at the address bar it is from www.paypalmn.com or something like that. Not www.paypal.com. do not click on the link in the email and log in. Go straight to the real paypal site and log in. Then you can see if your account is really restricted. I have gotten two emails over the past week. I have checked twice and the address of the sender is wrong. Don't click the link in the email!!!!!!

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real PayPal emails will say your first and last name NOT "dear paypal user", seen many like this before and they do look tempting to click :(

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get them all the time, even from banks. You should always forward the email to the company's fraud department so they can investigate it.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
send the email to paypal.
in another note some marketing place out east got hacked an tons of emails names and marketing info was stolen.
this means more targeted phishing scams just like the one you got.
even some cc companies you use were envolved so be extremely carefull following any link from your email.

here is a link that does list some companies.
Massive Breach at Epsilon Compromises Customer Lists of Major Brands | SecurityWeek.Com

any time you get these emails please forward them to abuse@ companies site

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I use Scottrade and they sent me an email telling me about Epsilon's incident and that my email/name was one of the ones that was taken.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I use Scottrade and they sent me an email telling me about Epsilon's incident and that my email/name was one of the ones that was taken.

thats good ive got more than one account with some of the places listed and have yet to get one message from any of them

dubge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are also ones going around that the emails look just like the emails from paypal saying youve got cash or how ever the emails go but the cash is not really in your paypal account, I saw someone post on RC that it happened to them and they almost shipped out the item and as they were about to walk out the door the persons wife had them check and low and behold no money in their paypal

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Had this happen to me last week. I had posted an ad for furniture on craigslist and was contacted by a women that said she would take my item and would paypal me the funds. My item was $1100 and the paypal email said that $1800 had been temporarily deposited into my account. I had to now western union the extra $700 money to the shipping agent. When I sent proof of western union to paypal they would relase my funds. Haha. I knew it was fake a that point.

Contacted paypal an they verified it was fake and to email them the fake emails to [email protected].

I contacted the so called buyer again and said no money had been sent to my account and she got mad ME and said she would report me to paypal if I didn't send the shipping agent the funds.

The emails looked pretty real. If not for the western union part, I may have believed them. Another clue was opening the emails on my iPhone. It said [email protected] but when I tapped on the email address it showed the real address to be totally different.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those, but went to paypal myself. Good looking out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for shareing as I wasn't aware of the scams but am now and will definetly be on my guard when it comes to any suspicous emails

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten those emails many times before, and have been a PayPal member for 12 years. If you do get one, just login to your PP account at payapl.com and you will know then if your account is restricted.

They want you to follow their link and input your password, they they drain you dry or buy stuff with your account.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back