Pea crab or something else?

SaltyGirlMom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2025
Messages
112
Reaction score
147
Location
TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I set up another tank and was grabbing some of the rock from a LFS tank for it, when we discovered this little guy on it. I googled it and it looks like a pea crab (that’s a big maybe!). The employee isolated it and kept it for a more experienced employee to decide what to do with it once they made it in to work. I left and don’t know the outcome of that, but still wonder what it was and if I should have kept it (the option was there).
IMG_4750.jpeg
 
I think it’s a Xanthid (“gorilla”) crab. Young ones don’t color up for a few molts. Just my $.02.
 
Recently I set up another tank and was grabbing some of the rock from a LFS tank for it, when we discovered this little guy on it. I googled it and it looks like a pea crab (that’s a big maybe!). The employee isolated it and kept it for a more experienced employee to decide what to do with it once they made it in to work. I left and don’t know the outcome of that, but still wonder what it was and if I should have kept it (the option was there).
IMG_4750.jpeg
Not a gorilla but likely one you dont want in your tank. May be a pebble or coral crab
 
Pea crab are smaller they are tiny and like too live inside oysters and other bio valves
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new