Peach Anthias Issue

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a very active happily eating peach anthias but I have noticed that on 1 side its stomach area is swollen. Would it most likely be a swim bladder issue? Whats the likelihood of it self resolving?

It is swimming 100% you have to look quite closely to notice but like most things in our tanks that we don't like once you notice it its all you see.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudanthias dispar is typically found in 20-50 feet of water, so the odds of a gas bubble forming in the swim bladder are low.

Can you post a photo of the swollen stomach area? Might just be an injury (they are jumpers) or possibly an internal infection.

OP
OP
Damian4883

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudanthias dispar is typically found in 20-50 feet of water, so the odds of a gas bubble forming in the swim bladder are low.

Can you post a photo of the swollen stomach area? Might just be an injury (they are jumpers) or possibly an internal infection.

I cant right now but I will try later, i think it will be difficult to catch in a photo. They dont stop moving. It honestly just looks like it has a really full stomach but it only protrudes on one side.

OP
OP
Damian4883

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant right now but I will try later, i think it will be difficult to catch in a photo. They dont stop moving. It honestly just looks like it has a really full stomach but it only protrudes on one side.

Sorry i should also add it looks slightly pale white but im assuming thats just the skin being slightly stretched.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry i should also add it looks slightly pale white but im assuming thats just the skin being slightly stretched.

In the meanwhile, try feeding him a peeled boiled green pea (or several). This can help clear out constipation, on the off chance that is the issue.

OP
OP
Damian4883

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3202.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if this is a swim bladder infection the back half of the fish will seem more buoyant than the front half and the fish will swim in a way to compensate for that.

^^ Stole that from @eatbreakfast because I can't think of any better way to put it. :D

OP
OP
Damian4883

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Damian4883 How is it looking today? Any change?
It's hard to say because the lights aren't on properly yet but from what I can tell it doesn't appear worse, any harm in more peas today? It wasn't taking them brilliantly but it was getting some, a also soaked the pea in garlic oil

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there isn't a tumor or maybe even lympho growing under the skin there... maybe on top of an organ.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say because the lights aren't on properly yet but from what I can tell it doesn't appear worse, any harm in more peas today? It wasn't taking them brilliantly but it was getting some, a also soaked the pea in garlic oil

Keep feeding the peas. Also, I would start soaking Kanaplex (an antibiotic) in his food but you'll also need to use Seachem Focus to bind the medication to the food. In addition to treating for a possible internal infection, Kanaplex has been known to induce diarrhea. ;)

OP
OP
Damian4883

Damian4883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update the fish died over night, was still eating fine :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the loss :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :(

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back