Peanut Butter Jar DIYs? + More Questions

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peanut butter jars, specifically both the small ones and the larger ones. In fact, we eat a lot of it here. I would like to do... *Something* with all of these jars.

I was actually thinking of putting a skirt (curtain) of fabric around the bottom of the table that my tank sits on and make a refugium underneath to hide some (... a lot) of my equipment (lord only knows how many other 10 gallon tanks I have...)
I wanted to know if I could do something like a chaeto / copepod / phyto reactor out of the peanut butter jar, or if there was some other things I could do? Nothing big or fancy like PhosBan reactors or calcium reactors, etc., but something simple enough.

I also wanna know if anybody's DIYed their Fluval -07 canisters? Added anything to them? Made them a part of a larger system? Drilled holes, added stuff, split tubing? I have a Fluval 107 that I thought was broken (gasket was throwing a fit and was a little bit dry) but I got it working again, and would like to see if anybody's done any DIY possibly-sump-related (or not) stuff with them.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question - Do sump p1pes have to be stra1ght?

(My 'i' key on my keyboard 1s suddenly very hard to press and the actual keycap 1s m1ss1ng, sorry about th1s! 1 tr1ed f1x1ng 1t but 1t d1dn't work.)

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question - Do sump p1pes have to be stra1ght?

(My 'i' key on my keyboard 1s suddenly very hard to press and the actual keycap 1s m1ss1ng, sorry about th1s! 1 tr1ed f1x1ng 1t but 1t d1dn't work.)
Every time you deviate from a straight line I.E. add a bend you seriously reduce flow, so keeping them as straight as possible is the best plan, and if you do need bends try to make long sweeping ones rather than right angles

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time you deviate from a straight line I.E. add a bend you seriously reduce flow, so keeping them as straight as possible is the best plan, and if you do need bends try to make long sweeping ones rather than right angles
yeah 1 was th1nk1ng of us1ng tub1ng 1nstead of p1pes because of the strange setup of my 20g (was a 10g. 10g cracked. upgrade t1me.)

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah 1 was th1nk1ng of us1ng tub1ng 1nstead of p1pes because of the strange setup of my 20g (was a 10g. 10g cracked. upgrade t1me.)
I'm not sure you need to be terribly concerned with about pipe bends for a 10 or 20 gallon tank. The cost difference and size difference for a return pump that will be more flow than you could use will be very small. Run the plumbing the most efficient way possible and upgrade your return pump by one size. It will probably cost you less than a latte at the flow rates you are looking for.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you need to be terribly concerned with about pipe bends for a 10 or 20 gallon tank. The cost difference and size difference for a return pump that will be more flow than you could use will be very small. Run the plumbing the most efficient way possible and upgrade your return pump by one size. It will probably cost you less than a latte at the flow rates you are looking for.
Well, 1ts more-so the table 1t s1ts on. 1ts got "extra room" 1n w1dth, so 1 would have to bend the p1pes around the back of the table and down to a sump. 1 also may need what you're say1ng dumbed down a l1ttle b1t because 1'm not very fam1l1ar w1th sump-exclus1ve equ1pment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back