Pearl/china wrasses, what can you tell me about them?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway an Australian China wrasse just became avaliable and I would like to know how I would go about caring for them, from what I've heard they're a more sensitive species and can have trouble getting them eating. What would they eat? Are they aggressive towards other wrasses? My tank is 120 gallons, coral only and 8-9 months old. Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did message him, though he's in the UK and probably sleeping, so I came here to see if any other wrasse experts can help me out
Worth the wait until he's available online.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4497.jpeg

if your referring to this guy…..mine like most of my other Tamarins is very peaceful and gets along with all my other wrasses. It can be a challenge to get them to eat, but if it’s out and picking at the rock work then the desire to eat is a very good sign. Mine started within a couple of days taking small mysis at first. They are poor shippers and it took me a few years to find this healthy one. GL

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway an Australian China wrasse just became avaliable and I would like to know how I would go about caring for them, from what I've heard they're a more sensitive species and can have trouble getting them eating. What would they eat? Are they aggressive towards other wrasses? My tank is 120 gallons, coral only and 8-9 months old. Thanks!
Well the most correct name is the new guinea wrasse, Anampses neoguineaicus. It is a tamarin wrasse and thus very sensitive and very difficult to get acclimated. But of the tamarin wrasse it is one of the easiest. Saying that it is a fish I would want to see eating before purchasing and I would be very careful about adding with aggressive fish. They require a reasonable pod population and a good sandbed. They also get fairly big and need a fairly big tank.

Also are very prone to:
  • Mouth injuries that prevent them from eating.
  • Acclimation troubles/jet lag where they fail to adapt to lighting schedules.
Finally smaller ones are far more likely to acclimate to tank conditions than older ones. So if I were to get one I would go for as small as possible.

These guys earn their expert only tag as do all tamarin wrasse.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the most correct name is the new guinea wrasse, Anampses neoguineaicus. It is a tamarin wrasse and thus very sensitive and very difficult to get acclimated. But of the tamarin wrasse it is one of the easiest. Saying that it is a fish I would want to see eating before purchasing and I would be very careful about adding with aggressive fish. They require a reasonable pod population and a good sandbed. They also get fairly big and need a fairly big tank.

Also are very prone to:
  • Mouth injuries that prevent them from eating.
  • Acclimation troubles/jet lag where they fail to adapt to lighting schedules.
Finally smaller ones are far more likely to acclimate to tank conditions than older ones. So if I were to get one I would go for as small as possible.

These guys earn their expert only tag as do all tamarin wrasse.
That's good, coral only setup, there are thousands of pods. I saw it on a wholesale list and am thinking of ordering it. Of course I can't order it however my LFS can get it in. They do quarrintine all of their fish for 3 weeks, so no problem with ensuring they eat. Any tank conditions I need to be aware of?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, coral only setup, there are thousands of pods. I saw it on a wholesale list and am thinking of ordering it. Of course I can't order it however my LFS can get it in. They do quarrintine all of their fish for 3 weeks, so no problem with ensuring they eat. Any tank conditions I need to be aware of?
Nope, as the name suggests its primarily from new guinea so typical tropical parameters. If you can get it to survive the first month you're probably golden.

@OrionN We need your photos!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke: Here you go!!!!!

This wrasse looks like porcelain, thus China Wrasse. Please don't hold the name against them :). They are one of my favorite wrasse. They are difficult to get establish, but once healthy and eating, they will do very well in our reef tank, and are very good community citizen. Here are a few picture of my pair. My male started out as a 1.5 inch or so and after 8 years he is about 7 inches or so.
Juvenile and female
ChinaWrasse2019062801resized.jpg
ChinaWrasse2019070701.jpg

Changing
ChinaWrasse2020070403.jpg

ChinaWrasse2020112901.jpg

Male
ChinaWrasse2022012011Male.jpg

Nuptial Male
ChinaWrasse2022012003Male.jpg

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke: Here you go!!!!!

This wrasse looks like porcelain, thus China Wrasse. Please don't hold the name against them :). They are one of my favorite wrasse. They are difficult to get establish, but once healthy and eating, they will do very well in our reef tank, and are very good community citizen. Here are a few picture of my pair.
Juvenile and female
ChinaWrasse2019062801resized.jpg
ChinaWrasse2019070701.jpg

Changing
ChinaWrasse2020070403.jpg

ChinaWrasse2020112901.jpg

Male
ChinaWrasse2022012011Male.jpg

Nuptial Male
ChinaWrasse2022012003Male.jpg
Can I keep one in my system? Will it stay female or transition into a male? Beautiful fish!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are long live and peaceful. I guess that they will do fine in a 120 gal tank. You can easily keep a harem of them. Once established, they will eat anything. Flakes and pellets along with frozen and hunt pods.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are long live and peaceful. I guess that they will do fine in a 120 gal tank. You can easily keep a harem of them. Once established, they will eat anything. Flakes and pellets along with frozen and hunt pods.
That's a hard one. Originally (and still planned) I want to keep a harem of meleagris leopard wrasse. Don't think my tank has the capacity for 2 harems, will they be able to co-exist? Also, do they stay female if they are being kept singly. Also, this will be the first fish in my tank so aggression isn't a problem.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you have a quite QT system with a lot of live food in it, it will help them get established. I have a 40 gal QT system that is full of macro algae, Sand and Live rock. I use this system to acclimate my sensitive fishes and usually do well with sensitive fishes. They are about as hard as Leopard wrasses to get acclimated IMO/IME. I am acclimated a small 1 inch A. twistii in this system right now. I normally don't have problem with hem unless they are sick.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a hard one. Originally (and still planned) I want to keep a harem of meleagris leopard wrasse. Don't think my tank has the capacity for 2 harems, will they be able to co-exist? Also, do they stay female if they are being kept singly. Also, this will be the first fish in my tank so aggression isn't a problem.
I have 2 harems, and multiple other pairs and single wrasses in my system. I have Harem of Black Leopards, Meleagris Leopards, and the pair of China Wrasses. They don't bother each other. My tank is 320 gal, so quite a bit bigger than your tank.
Pictures of my wrasses displaying and courting below:
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072805Pair - Copy.jpg
ChinaWrasse2019112301.jpg
ChinaWrasse2022012501.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122101Babies.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020122605MatingDance.jpg

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I placed the order with my LFS, they do quarantine all their marine fish for 4 weeks (before purchase of course) so unless it dies it will be awhile before the next update. Thanks for all your help!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I would love to hear how this turned out.
Unfortunately she didn't make it :(

A few days after I added her she just layed on her side for a few days before eventually passing. Tested the parameters and everything was normal, no ammonia, nitrates were good. And she was on her side right after unburrying so she never was out swimming

However I do have a filamented flasher wrasse in QT at my LFS which are easier to acclimate to captivity so I'm hoping I'll have better luck with this one

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back