Pearl Jawfish

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a jawfish to my tank... since I've put it in I can't find this guy.... Do you guy think this dudes hiddin in the sand? I dont see any burrows and I'm getting worried

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they love to dig, if you have alot of corals/zoa's check around their sometimes the entrance to the home is in their.

Also did you place your rock down before your sand? if not then chance he dug his way so much to the point the rock shifted down ontop of him.

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they love to dig, if you have alot of corals/zoa's check around their sometimes the entrance to the home is in their.

Also did you place your rock down before your sand? if not then chance he dug his way so much to the point the rock shifted down ontop of him.
My rock was already set.. I just got scared and moved it around to see if hes doing okay but no luck finding it:(

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked around the tank? They are notorious jumpers.
Yes i've checked around the tank... i'm actually removing crushed coral from my sump now and im going to check around again.. I didnt see nothing though so far

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will they dig in the sand and hide completely when new to a tank? or will they hide i rocks and then build a burrow when they're comfortable?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone a few weeks without seeing mine. Then it appears somewhere new with tons of sand displaced. It’s worrying but not abnormal.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just give him some time to get comfortable. As long as he hasn't jumped out of the tank or into an overflow, he's likely just hiding at the back of the tank between the sand and rocks for now. I've had a BSJF in the past and he was quite shy. I had fairly fine sand but picked an ideal (for me) place in the front/center of the thank where I provided some larger pieces of crushed coral, LR rubble, and shells and he eventually took advantage of the stash I left him and created a burrow right where I wanted him. Have patience. ;)

If you haven't already, definitely consider putting gutter guard around any openings in the tank to keep him where he belongs.

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just give him some time to get comfortable. As long as he hasn't jumped out of the tank or into an overflow, he's likely just hiding at the back of the tank between the sand and rocks for now. I've had a BSJF in the past and he was quite shy. I had fairly fine sand but picked an ideal (for me) place in the front/center of the thank where I provided some larger pieces of crushed coral, LR rubble, and shells and he eventually took advantage of the stash I left him and created a burrow right where I wanted him. Have patience. ;)

If you haven't already, definitely consider putting gutter guard around any openings in the tank to keep him where he belongs.
man i've moved rocks around and didnt see him now i'm worried if he was under the sand bed hiding i've put a rock over him and it might be stuck somewhere? the sand bed wasn't to thick towards the back also... If he was in the sand hiding i know hes not squished b/c I placed all the rocks softly... what should I do? Should I remove my rocks from the backwall and bring them towards the front and see if he comes out?

He was not out the tank.. looked around the back of my stand as good as I can and did not see it.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found it! he is good lol

thankgod
Really glad you found him, that's great news!

You mentioned that you placed the rocks softly so you know you didn't squish him. Are the rocks sitting on top of the sand? With a jawfish, you definitely want your rocks to be firmly set on the bottom of the tank/glass rather than sitting on top of the sand. If you have any aquascape with rocks stacked on top of each other, the jawfish will likely dig burrows under the rocks at some point and when he does, the rocks will shift and fall over possibly squashing fish/corals/inverts or scratching your glass. I don't know what your tank looks like, how deep the sand is, how high the scape is, etc... but this is something, if possible to do, that you may really want to consider. Search around if you like; things like jawfish, sand sifting gobies, and others will require that the rockwork has a very stable base. I put eggcrate under the sand on my tanks to protect the bottom glass and to give the rocks something to bite into for a firm base. Good luck!

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it alone and let it do his thing. Mine just made a quick burrow to hide at first. As they get more comfortable, mine would make new burrows closer to the front so he can see everything, then he picked a spot where he could see when I was feeding the tank still close to front. Once they are ready to make something more permanent, they will collect rocks to build the structure around the opening then cover with sand. You should put some small rock rubble in there for it. Just bust up a piece of rock with a hammer and drop it in the tank, he will go grab it to build.

OP
OP
A

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad you found him, that's great news!

You mentioned that you placed the rocks softly so you know you didn't squish him. Are the rocks sitting on top of the sand? With a jawfish, you definitely want your rocks to be firmly set on the bottom of the tank/glass rather than sitting on top of the sand. If you have any aquascape with rocks stacked on top of each other, the jawfish will likely dig burrows under the rocks at some point and when he does, the rocks will shift and fall over possibly squashing fish/corals/inverts or scratching your glass. I don't know what your tank looks like, how deep the sand is, how high the scape is, etc... but this is something, if possible to do, that you may really want to consider. Search around if you like; things like jawfish, sand sifting gobies, and others will require that the rockwork has a very stable base. I put eggcrate under the sand on my tanks to protect the bottom glass and to give the rocks something to bite into for a firm base. Good luck!
Well when re-arranging I made sure they were secure, the back end is more shallow then the front end of my tank. I'm going to pick up another bag and make sure they're more secure. I also did the push test when placing the rocks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never go looking for fish. This is something you want to do because it makes you feel better when you find them but it causes unneeded stress to the fish. They want to be left alone to settle. That’s why they are hiding.

Some fish will hide for weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Without any stressors. . . . .
They typically hide and hide well until theyre comfortable enough to peek out. Additionally they are notorious for getting through openings of an overflow as well as known Jumpers.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back