Pearly Jawfish "Sand Grain Size"?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im doing a 20 Gal Reef with the "oddball" choice of fish being a Pearly Jawfish and considering they make their burrows using their mouths, what would be the ideal grain size for them? I remember when the Northern Seas Aquarium at the Point Defiance Zoo was open, they had a Pearly Jaw Colony that had considerably thick / big sized grains as their substrate and they seemed to do well, would something like 1-2mm be okay for them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im doing a 20 Gal Reef with the "oddball" choice of fish being a Pearly Jawfish and considering they make their burrows using their mouths, what would be the ideal grain size for them? I remember when the Northern Seas Aquarium at the Point Defiance Zoo was open, they had a Pearly Jaw Colony that had considerably thick / big sized grains as their substrate and they seemed to do well, would something like 1-2mm be okay for them?

I can't tell you for certain, but my policy has always been to offer jawfish a mixed substrate - fine to large grains, with some coral pieces mixed in. It seems to me that the mixed sizes allows them to build a burrow that "locks" better. All fine material tends to collapse and all large material is too tough for them to move around.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back