Pedersen Reef - My 12" Brain & Way Too Many Large Fish

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a few photos of Pedersen reef last night. The brain coral in the front center is my 12" brain, which means my brain is probably bigger than yours ;) I have had it for 9 years. it was only 3" when I first got it.

Pedersen reef has been running for 10 years.

28A9B28F-2150-44CB-91EC-8880E1A141EC.jpeg

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reef tanks for around 35 years. I believe in simple reef keeping. I have a refugium full of Halymenia and a an old EURO protein skimmer. I top off with Kalk water and vinegar. On occasion I add magnesium sulfide and chloride.

Water changes have been few. I just finished off my bucket of salt that I purchased 10 years ago.

I feed automatically 4 times a day. I mix standard small spectrum pellets with reef roids and 2 types of powdered algae. I also hand feed a cube of frozen mysis and a medium piece of nori 2 or 3 times a week.

Last year I lost all my large old acro colonies due to a soil bacteria infection (white band disease) I accidentally introduced after working in the garden. I was sad to see the large colonies go, but was able to save small frags and they are growing back. This also gave me an opportunity to get some new corals. :)

I stream my tank live at the following link.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back