pellet food vs frozen

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets are also nice to soak in prazipro if need be. If your fish are used to eating pellets already, they'll probably eat it and not think twice

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine had a catastrophic event last night. He was away for 2 weeks. He has an Apex Neptune feeder... All was good during 2 weeks, I watched his tank for him. Made few visits to feed frozen. Auto Feeder was doing pellets daily.... He got home and started some maintenance and tried to open cap on feeder. A full load of pellets dropped into his 29 gallon tank because the plastic piece fell off over tank. He had to suck tons of pellets out and vacuum all night. As well as water change in a hurry..... Not a fan..... If I am away from my tank, I prepare plastic cups filled with portioned frozen food. I show my helper the ropes... Take Turkey baster, thaw food. Mix up and slowly drop... Never have a problem..... Good Luck....
Well that looks like his fault and not the Apex Feeder. Its always good not to fill up any feeder just in case treat it like an ATO . Also when loading it do it carefully.
I feed frozen food everyday but I also feed pellets just to suit fish diets I have never had ick problem or fish going skinny feading frozen food using Gamma Fish Food and soon Rods Food

Last edited:

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its pretty simple and logical really? Dried food is balanced and contains a good mix of protein, carbs etc. But frozen food provides fresher ingredients/minerals/vitamins. the mix of the two groups on rotating days is ideal IMHO. More important is how you feed-- I believe in twice a day feedings in smaller amounts. And one day of complete fasting. A well fed fish is a fish with a good immune system and a noticeable color and vitality. It is most rewarding to see you captive charges flourishing under your care-- as opposed to managing to 'exist'.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies everyone. I am currently in the process of redoing my tank but when I get it back up and running, I'll definitely be including pellets in the rotation

datBme150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while we are on the subject. any strong recommendations for pellet or flake food brands?

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as pellets, I use PE, NLS, and ON Formula One. These are in the rotation with mysis, brine, Reef Frenzy, and blackworms for a well-rounded diet and some live gut cultures.

Last edited:

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly Eheim feeder with pellets does the job, once a day. Nori and frozen when I remember like once a week or month.

Only issue is to get or design a feeding ring for it to drop in, so it doesn't go straight into the overflow. Eheim has one but has a limited mounting bracket. I built one out of acrylic for center brace.

IMG_0244.JPG

DustinTWilliams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding multiple foods to there diet is aleays a good idea. Uou will notice heathier and more vibrant colors and activity levels will change.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly Eheim feeder with pellets does the job, once a day. Nori and frozen when I remember like once a week or month.

Only issue is to get or design a feeding ring for it to drop in, so it doesn't go straight into the overflow. Eheim has one but has a limited mounting bracket. I built one out of acrylic for center brace.

IMG_0244.JPG

That's a cool mounting bracket regardless of what I'm about to say!! :)

The clamp under Eheim's feedingSTATION will mount three or four different ways – more than the feeder's clamp I think. I use it to help contain frozen whlie it thaws too, but it's not quite as perfect for that with all the flow in the tank....the frozen I use combined with the flow in my tank sinks when it's about half thawed. Still 100% better than going straight down the drain. ;)

BTW, the clamp even disassembles from the feedingSTATION itself for easier install onto your tank. I'm nearly positive it could clamp to a cross-brace out of the box.....this glass brace mounting is similar:
140402020420.jpg

On my tank with a plastic trim it fits on the tank edge this way:
140402020455.jpg

Once the clamp for the feedingSTATION is installed it pretty much stays there. You can easily slide the feedingSTATION off the clamp for cleaning.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...and the clear part slides off the main deck for separate cleaning too. So the feeder "tube" slides off the deck where the feeder sits, and the deck slides off of the clamp underneath as needed. Very convenient. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back