Switching from frozen to pellets

squikymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y'all, was wondering if anyone had any experience switching from frozen foods (in my case LRS reef frenzy, to pellets (hikari marine A)

I usually feed frozen three times a day and spot feed corals 2 times weekly but with life going on I plan to get an auto feeder to keep up with the 3x a day, except you can't auto feed frozen food.

So I'm trying to get my fish adjusted to pellets. So far I'm putting 4-6 pellets in with a small amount of frozen food and then giving it slowly. So far they pick at it and spit it out and as soon as it's on the ground it's non existent.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank y'all!

OP
OP
squikymouse

squikymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of switching why don’t you just add pellets in addition to the frozen to their diet? I feed my fish flakes, pellets and frozen on a rotational basis and they enjoy the variety.
Because I can no longer keep up with feeding 3x a day. I still plan to give them frozen but like, 2x a week or to spot feed. Im hoping that I can automate my feeding with pellets to get back into that regular small feedings 3x a day with the occasional bit of frozen

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can no longer keep up with feeding 3x a day. I still plan to give them frozen but like, 2x a week or to spot feed. Im hoping that I can automate my feeding with pellets to get back into that regular small feedings 3x a day with the occasional bit of frozen
What type of fish do you have that need 3 feedings a day??

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small bits of food, barely a teaspoon of thawed out food. From what I understand it's better to feed small amounts often than a large amount once.
Unless I'm just wrong, this is also a possibility
Idk, I feed mine once a day, when I remember, lol.

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I've never fed more than once a day. I've been a frozen guy for a long time currently 1- foxface, 2- Bengai, 2-Pajamas, 2- Black Clowns, 1- Mandarin (doesn't count), 1- Scooter Blenny, 1-Blue Tang, 1- Lawnmower Blenny, 6- various Shrimp, 1 Anemone that gets a squirt of the concoction. 4 - various cubes once a day great growth. Not to mention meaty corals, and various other coral that get spot fed occasionally. I don't think it's too much and still have high Nitrate.

Attachments

• 16955953781156476725931947943693.jpg
    16955953781156476725931947943693.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 87

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different, but I feed 4x rotations of Pellets and 5-6 cube of frozen per day.
I run an Eheim autofeeder with a mix of pellets: NLS Marine, NLS Thera+A, NLS probiotix, NLS AlgaeMax, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, Hikari Herbivore, Ocean Nutrition Formula 2, & TDO-EP1.

This is a 180G that is way overstocked, but I have <2ppm Nitrates & <10ppb Phosphates.

Attachments

• IMG-7333.jpg
    IMG-7333.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 85

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different, but I feed 4x rotations of Pellets and 5-6 cube of frozen per day.
I run an Eheim autofeeder with a mix of pellets: NLS Marine, NLS Thera+A, NLS probiotix, NLS AlgaeMax, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, Hikari Herbivore, Ocean Nutrition Formula 2, & TDO-EP1.

This is a 180G that is way overstocked, but I have <2ppm Nitrates & <10ppb Phosphates.
Nice color. What do you run your alk at?

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice color. What do you run your alk at?
low 8's. I say low 8's because I don't check as often as I should since I'm running a calc reactor. Like, recently I haven't checked in a few months and found it to be at 7. slowly brought it back up to 8.5 in case it drifts again because the demand keeps going up due to coral growth.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to get my fish adjusted to pellets. So far I'm putting 4-6 pellets in with a small amount of frozen food and then giving it slowly. So far they pick at it and spit it out and as soon as it's on the ground it's non existent.

I'm in the same boat as you and have been trying to get my fish to eat dry food for over 6-months now.

My fish behave the same way, pick at it and then spit it out. I've tried 8 different types of dried foods, and they just won't accept the stuff. I'd love to get them eating from my auto feeder.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you tried garlic enhancer? Apparently the taste of garlic attracts fish so you can try that. Also try just feeding them only pellets instead of mixing. They’re going to want to go for frozen most of the time over pellet. Let them get hungry, soak some pellets in garlic, and then feed

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do what some others have said. Feed frozen when you are home and pellets when you are not. Having a variety of foods available is not a bad thing. I feed Flake, frozen, pellets, phyto, baby brine, rotifers, all at different times of the day.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y'all, was wondering if anyone had any experience switching from frozen foods (in my case LRS reef frenzy, to pellets (hikari marine A)

I usually feed frozen three times a day and spot feed corals 2 times weekly but with life going on I plan to get an auto feeder to keep up with the 3x a day, except you can't auto feed frozen food.

Try smashing the pellets, 4 or 5 smaller pieces.

What kind of fish?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have anthias and in my experience if I do not feed them 2 times a day or more they are likely to starve. The only pellet food I found that my fish will eat is SA hatchery diet. Lately I have been going in the opposite direction and doing more frozen mysis. Dry pellets seem to increase po4 considerably in my tank.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low 8's. I say low 8's because I don't check as often as I should since I'm running a calc reactor. Like, recently I haven't checked in a few months and found it to be at 7. slowly brought it back up to 8.5 in case it drifts again because the demand keeps going up due to coral growth.

whats your light source?

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reef nutrition tdo chromaboost. I haven't found an organism in my tank that doesn't love it. Just put it on an auto feeder, small amounts once or twice a day when you aren't around. They will figure it out. They will just dodge it if it's mixed in with the food they like

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have an automatic feeder feed pellete 2-3 tines a day and feed frozen when u can. Mixing pellets with frozen till they get to eat pellets alone is the right way around it.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak the pellets in selcon to get them used to taking them. I feed a mix of frozen and pellets. The only pellets my fish will eat are reef nutrition TDO. They are coated with a type of algae and even my tangs and other herbivores devour them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all of my fish 3-4 times a day. This keeps my tangs, angels, etc. all happy, non aggressive and growing. NLS pellets on auto feeder and then I mix in some frozen about once a day. I also will put some flake in the tank by hand so that it scatters and the crabs, shrimp, etc all get some food.

I have not met a pellet that my fish would not eat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back