Pencil urchin damage?

Turkey head

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
345
Reaction score
236
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up today to find the stony part of a coral had been nibbled. The only things that I know of in the tank that could do this is an urchin. Most likely a pencil. I also have a pincushion and a Halloween. I’m going to keep an eye on the corals and if it continues I’ll have to put the urchin in a different tank…

IMG_4202.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg
 
Yep ,most likely pencil, might want to gel super glue that hole closed... ;) :)
 
Hopefully it stops. I love the pencil urchin but I knew when I got it that this may happen. It’s behaved for a long time so we’ll see.
 
Thanks. I was wondering if I should do something with the hole
I have 2 pencils and its been over 2 years and never had this. . . hmmm
 
It’s a Eucidaris of some type. It doesn’t accept any foods that I’ve seen. It eats what’s on the rocks.
 
I’ve had this one and another that has since died for a long time with corals and this is a recent thing. I believe I have read that pencils have the potential to do this tho and bought it understanding that.
 
Mine has a taste for a certain acro so any time I see it anywhere near the frag rack I move it. Lol
 
I have been keeping an eye on it. I haven’t noticed any additional damage or damage on others. The coral still looks healthy though.
 
It’s a Eucidaris of some type. It doesn’t accept any foods that I’ve seen. It eats what’s on the rocks.
Ah, yeah, I’d expect to keep eating corals then unfortunately:
Looks to be Eucidaris tribuloides:

"its search for food, which can include sponges, corals, bivalves, gastropods, bryozoans, along with detritus and some algae."*

"It feeds primarily on algae and coral but they can feed on small invertebrates as well. "**

*Source:
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=3101**Source:
https://gulfspecimen.org/pencil-urchin/
 
I wanted to update. It has left all the corals alone until last night. It are away at the same coral. I put some superglue of the area and removed the urchin from the tank. It’s not to be trusted anymore! Fortunately, I have another small tank set up with no corals.
 
Mine ate a dying Acro and several coral skeletons. I put him in the sump to be safe but beyond the possibly-already-dead acro I never saw it touch a live coral, just skeletons.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new