Pencil urchin spawning - is this bad?

Silly clownfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
144
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized yesterday that my nitrates were sky high (57) which appears to have been due to a crash of bristleworms that had been in my overflow, I removed almost a full cup (8 oz) of live and dead bristleworms. That was already helping by today with nitrates down to 45.8 before I was able to do a roughly 20% water change. As I finished the water change, I saw what looked like angle hair spaghetti floating in the tank and being ejected by my pencil urchin. I can only assume this is spawning. Probably brought on by the water change, or maybe the fact that I needed to turn the light back up after “sunset”.

Any thought on if this means it is so stressed it thinks it is dying and needs to try to reproduce? I only have one pencil urchin in each tank, so that is not going to work IMG_3686.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3687.mov
    42.9 MB
I could be completely wrong about this, but that is what my feather dusters look like whenever they spawn and work on making themselves a hard shell…. but I could be completely wrong. Hopefully your tank gets better
 
WIth all that algae growing on it's "pencils" it doesn't appear to be very healthy. I would be concerned that it was trying to extend it's legacy from it's death bed?
 
both of my pencil urchins tend to catch algae on the spines when I scripub and it is floating around the tank. There is almost not algae growing on any of my rock, so I worry more about it starving and do feed nori. its still moving around the tank so guess will know in a couple of days if it is on the decline. I’ve had this one for about 2 years.
 
And I didn’t think of it until the spaghetti had mostly dissipated (very quick), but did try to turkey baster some out and put in my other tank that has a pencil urchin. It’s a long shot, but seemed worth trying.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new