Peninsula Style Tank Plumbing

luke5694

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm getting back into reefing after a 5 year hiatus. I've got the itch again and can't wait to get everything set up. I recently bought a 22 gallon long (36x12x12) tank and have plans to drill it and run a sump below. I'm wanting to do a peninsula style tank but I'm wondering if I put the drain and return pump line on the same side will that be enough to circulate water through the entire 3ft long tank? I'll of course put a powerhead in the tank as well but I'm not sure if that'll be enough to reach all the corners and everything.

I'm just trying to think of the best way to go about plumbing this tank. Should I just put the return and drain on opposite ends? I really love the look of a peninsula style tank though. Or put something like a gyre on the opposite end of the drain/return?

Would a closed loop system be something worth while?

Anyone have any suggestions?

OP
OP
luke5694

luke5694

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea Sean, I haven't thought of that! Is it worth it to do a peninsula style tank or should I just bite the bullet and put the return on the opposite side?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea Sean, I haven't thought of that! Is it worth it to do a peninsula style tank or should I just bite the bullet and put the return on the opposite side?
Well I have one and am biased so I vote peninsula. I don't like seeing pumps in the tank. And then there is the fact that I am in Michigan, not sure that that plays a factor but I may have a subconscious affinity towards peninulas.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get some cheap DC Controllable powerheads and put them on the back wall of the Peninsula (on either side of the overflow box). Something like the Current eFlux 660GPH or something... that, coupled with your return, should be more than enough flow for a 20L to mitigate any dead spots.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get some cheap DC Controllable powerheads and put them on the back wall of the Peninsula (on either side of the overflow box). Something like the Current eFlux 660GPH or something... that, coupled with your return, should be more than enough flow for a 20L to mitigate any dead spots.
Actually, I just read (and realized) that it's a 36" tank. The 660's might be a bit underpowered for that... They will probably make it to the far side, but they might not have enough punch to recirculate back with enough velocity to carry detritus back to the overflow... Putting them on the opposite end of the tank might work better, or your idea of a gyre on the opposite end would work pretty well too... and a Gyre (smallest one is 2K) should have more than enough power to go 36" and recirculate...

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most peninsula tanks have a return or closed loop up and over to the other far end. You hide the plumbing in a canopy or hood. Something. Floating hood.
You can bring it down with locline 1/4" 90 or you can do a spray bar even off the return.
Hths you. Peninsula or die!
Lol
-d

OP
OP
luke5694

luke5694

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies! I think I'm leaning towards putting a gyre on the opposite side of my drain/return and placing a CPR eductor on my return line. I'm just not sure drilling through the bottom of my tank to create a closed loop system will be worth it (it's a rimless tank with no overhead to hide equipment). It is only 22 gallons (but 3 ft long) so I'm hoping this will create plenty of flow in my tank. I'd eventually like to keep lps and sps corals in my tank.

If anyone has any other ideas please share!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back