Peninsula tank stand and canopy

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking for ideas for a stand and canopy for a Peninsula tank, I am in the process of a 220 tank build.I am going to put the tank in the basement and I plan on hiding the main floor joist support using one end of the tank's stand canopy.
If anyone has done something like this could you please post some pictures.
TIA
John

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a look at my build thread (in signature block below) for one idea. Can be modified easily so it may give you a starting point. Happy to answer any questions.

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, your set/tank is awesome, and thank you for posting the link. It is just what I was looking for.
My plan is to build the tank in my lower level and use the closed end to hide the joist support pipe.
First question is can you remove the canopy? Once I get another paint coat on the stand I will put it in place and take a picture. But that's a week away, vacation starts tomorrow .

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, your set/tank is awesome, and thank you for posting the link. It is just what I was looking for.
My plan is to build the tank in my lower level and use the closed end to hide the joist support pipe.
First question is can you remove the canopy? Once I get another paint coat on the stand I will put it in place and take a picture. But that's a week away, vacation starts tomorrow .

Thanks. My canopy is not removable as a whole, only the panels, but I'm sure it could be designed to be. Keep us posted with your progress, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Enjoy your vacation.

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from vacation and getting back to the stand build, trying to figure out how to figure out the canopy, I would like to be able to be able to open both sides if possible that way I can clean the glass on both sides.
I think the next thing is to get the overflow and drill the tank then I can set the tank and work the stand and canopy around it.
Pictures tomorrow night
John

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said before John, although my canopy is not removable, I have panels on either side to allow access to tank. Mine is designed that I can reach any spot in the display, either for coral placement or maintenance. I use the Flipper magnet cleaner which is terrific. It has both a cleaning pad and razor and can go from one panel to the other. Let's see your pictures and maybe another idea might present itself.

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the start, the stand is about 36" tall, and 8' long
image.jpeg

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is right. At 30" tall, so the canopy will need to be another 30" tall so it can meet the soffit, I plan on running my power between the floor joists to the soffit and then down along the post. I would also like to run pic pipe up thru the soffit and to the back room sump for easy water changes. The stand will be moved as needed to accommodate the reef savvy overflow.
The bottom of the stand has 2 coats of paint so far and will have at least one more before its sealed with a urethane the rest of the stand will also be painted and sealed. I also sealed the seams with a good silicone caulk before it was painted
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on building the canopy to meet the soffit, the stand and canopy will be 8' long and the area on the post end of the tank will be closed up, I am planning on closing up that end and using it for storage, the plan is to hide the post. The end of our lower level will be a family room, and I plan on putting a bar in. The tank will be the high light of the lower level

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming your drain is going to be on the short end with the support post. If that is correct, make sure you leave sufficient room between the tank and the post. I realize the stand is likely not in its final position in the pictures, but just reminding you to leave room. You'll be shocked at how much room your plumbing will take up since all plumbing will be routed up that side. Again, this is assuming my first sentence is correct.

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I plan on the overflow box on thr end of the tank with the post, the final setting of the tank and stand will come after all the plumbing is done. Right now I want to put the sump on the opposite end post so that I can remove straight out of the end. I cut the top of the stand tonight and placed but did not screw it down, maybe tommorow or this weekend. I have to go visit my other tank about 40 miles north of here at "my" house where my older brother is taking care of it
John

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! I like how it is going to hide the support pole and you will have storage there for stuff.
FYI...LOL... mancaves do not have treadmills..LOL:D

OP
OP
skjohn98

skjohn98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Momma's treadmill, had to move it to get the stand where its at now the treadmill will get moved to a dark place in the basement storage area

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Momma's treadmill, had to move it to get the stand where its at now the treadmill will get moved to a dark place in the basement storage area
Just like every treadmill I have ever seen! Soon it will have cloths hanging on it and blankets draped over it..LOL
Our does..LOL

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skjohn98, I just stumbled on this old thread. I think it's time for an update my friend! Let us know if you ever got this bad boy completed.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back