Pentair or Aqua Ultra UV?

Conrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the aqua's. I have 2 pentairs, I have an 80w and 40w version. I can tell you they are built extremely solid, they are made in the U.S.A. The other thing I didn't care for in the 80W version of the aqua ultra was that it is 2 bulbs at 40w instead of 1 bulb at 80w like the pentair unit which means more bulb replacement costs.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the aqua's. I have 2 pentairs, I have an 80w and 40w version. I can tell you they are built extremely solid, they are made in the U.S.A. The other thing I didn't care for in the 80W version of the aqua ultra was that it is 2 bulbs at 40w instead of 1 bulb at 80w like the pentair unit which means more bulb replacement costs.

That's good to know. I am looking at the 40 Watt version. And leaning towards Pentair. Even though it is about an extra 7" longer. I feel like that's more contact time.

What size tanks do you have those on?

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Both are good uv light, I have the aqua's in this moment in my tank and I replaced one pentar just becuae the pentar is 25 wats and it was no enough for my tank. The only advantage that I see between aqua's over pentar is the size my 57 watts is smaller that 25 watts from pentar

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the pentair as well. I think the benefit for using the aqua uv, is the cost tends to be lower and the form factor is smaller.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the pentair as well. I think the benefit for using the aqua uv, is the cost tends to be lower and the form factor is smaller.

At least on BRS the 40 watt Pentair is actually $36 cheaper, but according to Chad from BRS the Aqua uv comes with the reducing bushings and barbed fittings where the pentair does not. But you are correct that there's a difference in form factor. But like I said, I think the longer tube would give more contact time, which seems like would be a good thing. I am leaning towards the Pentair. Just need to figure out where I would put it (and how I am going to physically mount it), and how I am going to connect it to my manifold.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least on BRS the 40 watt Pentair is actually $36 cheaper, but according to Chad from BRS the Aqua uv comes with the reducing bushings and barbed fittings where the pentair does not. But you are correct that there's a difference in form factor. But like I said, I think the longer tube would give more contact time, which seems like would be a good thing. I am leaning towards the Pentair. Just need to figure out where I would put it (and how I am going to physically mount it), and how I am going to connect it to my manifold.
I actually have it mounted next to my sump standing up. I have separate PVC running into the sump with a stand alone pump. You are correct, the bigger the unit, the more contact time, potentially the more efficient it will be (along with bulb strength, water flow, clarity of tube, etc.)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would mount it horizontally.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have it mounted next to my sump standing up. I have separate PVC running into the sump with a stand alone pump. You are correct, the bigger the unit, the more contact time, potentially the more efficient it will be (along with bulb strength, water flow, clarity of tube, etc.)

That is how I am hoping I can set mine up. Seems bubbles would be less of an issue, and take up less space.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why horizontal? I thought upright was better for air bubbles?

Depending on the way it's made, some units have a space between the inlet/exit fittings and the end of the housing. If mounted vertical, an air pocket can develop at the top exposing the quartz sleeve and bulb. This can cause heat to build up in this area. Though I've never had a quartz sleeve break, it will cause a heat discoloration in this area.

To avoid this as a precaution, (completely anecdotal on my part) I've always mounted mine horizontally with the inlet and exits facing up with units that exit on the side of the housing. If the unit enters and exits on the ends, can be mounted either way.

Edit: I've had both manufacturers and both are excellent choices. I'm currently running a Aqua UV unit. Along with the cost of the bulbs as a factor, consider the cost of a ballast as well if it goes out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the way it's made, some units have a space between the inlet/exit fittings and the end of the housing. If mounted vertical, an air pocket can develop at the top exposing the quartz sleeve and bulb. This can cause heat to build up in this area. Though I've never had a quartz sleeve break, it will cause a heat discoloration in this area.

To avoid this as a precaution, (completely anecdotal on my part) I've always mounted mine horizontally with the inlet and exits facing up with units that exit on the side of the housing. If the unit enters and exits on the ends, can be mounted either way.

Edit: I've had both manufacturers and both are excellent choices. I'm currently running a Aqua UV unit. Along with the cost of the bulbs as a factor, consider the cost of a ballast as well if it goes out.

Hmm, something to think about

@Waters, have you seen any discoloration in yours?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt buy either of those honestly. I would buy the Lifegard Aquatics Pro-max UV. I highly suggest you read this 2 page thread where I post all my reasons. In short it is a better unit and more serviceable, lower yearly cost, better flexibility for mounting etc.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to think about is if your running it off a manifold, like I do, consider when the power goes off and when it comes back on. My system forces air back through everything till this forced out by the pressure, including the UV.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back