People who have kept Lamarcks angels, reef safe?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that they are reef safe, but i want an opinion from people who have kept the in the past, currently keeping one or know someone who has one. Note that i only have lps and softies in my tank, and not planning on getting sps. Thanks!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve had my Lamarck’s in my reef going on 4 years. She’s completely reef safe, pays zero attention to my corals, clams, and gorgs. She is however a butthead to my other fish.

057B8BBC-861D-4EBA-9BCE-74B85043BFDE.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to the individual angel for sure, but they pop up on most sites as reef safe with caution since its an angel lol. I dont keep one but Im a risk taker with angels and corals since I love angels the most and have a regal from the red sea in my reef and she doesnt mess with corals. I keep her very well fed. I feel like with that angel its less of a risk based on what Ive read about them but still an angel if you know what I mean :)

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile Lamark. He's about 2.5" and has been in my SPS system for about 3 months. Has no interest in the corals. Picks at the rock and sand bed at times and loves Nori. He's well fed, fat and happy. My understanding is that they are plankton feeders by trade, so I think you can have a reasonable assurance that they won't go after corals.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lamark that was a model citizen in my reef. I now have a bellus which is in the same genus as the lamark and the experience is the same. Genicanthus angels are all mostly considered reef safe.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally reef safe but you will hear stories once in a while that they nip corals especially LPS. The key of success is to get them as juvenile.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve had my Lamarck’s in my reef going on 4 years. She’s completely reef safe, pays zero attention to my corals, clams, and gorgs. She is however a butthead to my other fish.

057B8BBC-861D-4EBA-9BCE-74B85043BFDE.jpeg
I was planning on it being able to defend itself since i was putting with a damsel and other fish that can hold their ground.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to the individual angel for sure, but they pop up on most sites as reef safe with caution since its an angel lol. I dont keep one but Im a risk taker with angels and corals since I love angels the most and have a regal from the red sea in my reef and she doesnt mess with corals. I keep her very well fed. I feel like with that angel its less of a risk based on what Ive read about them but still an angel if you know what I mean :)
yup! i will definitely keep it well fed! hopefully it wont eat my coral but angels will be angels

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several over the years and not one of them ever bothered any corals, inverts, or clams. They can become somewhat of a bully though to fish with similar shape and color, but nothing serious.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on it being able to defend itself since i was putting with a damsel and other fish that can hold their ground.
like some melanarus wrasse, hawkfish and then some clowns (not too worried about them since the one i have gets bullied by my damsel

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right lol I always make sure I put hikiri’s marine angel frozen food in my little food concoction for her and I havnt seen her so much as look at a coral

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in a LFS display that I worked at. Never saw an issue

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back