Pepermint shrimp good or bad for pur reef tank?

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2 pepermint shrimp just killed 4 heads of my indo super gold torch overnight. They did the same to my green frogspawn colony 3 montgs ago! I know they don't eat healthy lps, but once they tend to eating lps that with wound, that gotta be problem! Euphyllia sometimes just get stressed from many ways, without the pepermint's extra stress, they most likely will recover themselves. What you think guys? Thanks for any input!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 pepermint shrimp just killed 4 heads of my indo super gold torch overnight. They did the same to my green frogspawn colony 3 montgs ago! I know they don't eat healthy lps, but once they tend to eating lps that with wound, that gotta be problem! Euphyllia sometimes just get stressed from many ways, without the pepermint's extra stress, they most likely will recover themselves. What you think guys? Thanks for any input!

Think once my peppermints got a taste for hammers, they were eating ALL my hammers. Once 4 of 6 were gone, we were convinced it was peppermints. Final two that were least eaten and had main structures remaining did recover, and we've since replaced hammers after catching peppermint shrimp. Two of the four I was hoping would recover but too much was eaten before peppermints were halted. Used medium IceCap Fish Trap that I already had on hand, but there are numerous DIY traps if you just google

Have heard many say they've had peaceful coexistance between Euphyllia and peppermints... but like everything else forced to coexist in aquarium, IMO everything is fine right up until it is no longer fine... then for me it's a matter of what can I live with since I knew the risks going in...

Good luck!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp doing what shrimp do!
Think once my peppermints got a taste for hammers, they were eating ALL my hammers. Once 4 of 6 were gone, we were convinced it was peppermints. Final two that were least eaten and had main structures remaining did recover, and we've since replaced hammers after catching peppermint shrimp. Two of the four I was hoping would recover but too much was eaten before peppermints were halted. Used medium IceCap Fish Trap that I already had on hand, but there are numerous DIY traps if you just google

Have heard many say they've had peaceful coexistance between Euphyllia and peppermints... but like everything else forced to coexist in aquarium, IMO everything is fine right up until it is no longer fine... then for me it's a matter of what can I live with since I knew the risks going in...

Good luck!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first had peppermints they got in the habit of taking food from the mouth of a rock anemone.

Recently I had another peppermint that did take care of aiptasia, then wandered over to my hammer heads at night. I had noticed that the hammers weren't opening up fully. I bottle trapped that one out of there.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first had peppermints they got in the habit of taking food from the mouth of a rock anemone.

Recently I had another peppermint that did take care of aiptasia, then wandered over to my hammer heads at night. I had noticed that the hammers weren't opening up fully. I bottle trapped that one out of there.

Forgot about that behavior - yes they also did that to our lobo and trachy! RUDE!! We would sprinkle stinky pellets in another area to give them something specific to eat and keep them full.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you guys might actually have camelback shrimp instead. They are very similar to the peppermints and are often mislabeled. The true peppermint shrimp is completely reef safe.

I had true peppermints, based on the chart lining up different "peppermint" shrimp... had already explored that but thanks!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different species of peppermint shrimp, here are a few of the common ones. Unfortunately only 1, maybe 2 of these of these species are reef safe. I can not remember which ones as I read about this a very long time ago.
with that being said, I’d imagine even the reef safe ones can go rogue in some cases.

Attachments

• 9016C0B1-A4CB-4D5B-B252-F14345864DD2.png
    9016C0B1-A4CB-4D5B-B252-F14345864DD2.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 40

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you guys might actually have camelback shrimp instead. They are very similar to the peppermints and are often mislabeled. The true peppermint shrimp is completely reef safe.

That article also said peppermints are bad ;) .

I had peppermints, now I didn't see them eating my anemone or hammers, they would just get those itty bitty claws in there to steal food and stress the coral. My clowns are also good at stealing food from my hammers, I haven't banished them....yet.

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a total of 4 or 5 peppermints in my last tank (135g). I had a mixed reef which also included frogspawn, torhes and the like. I saw them crawling all over my corals, but they never did any damage. They plowed through my aptasia as I hoped. They were model citizens. Never damaged anything.

On the flip side, I have a friend that had a few of them in her tank. They plowed through a lot of her coral.

I felt horrible cause I recommended them due to her aptasia problems.

I guess it's really hit or miss.

OP
OP
Gqch

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Forgot about that behavior - yes they also did that to our lobo and trachy! RUDE!! We would sprinkle stinky pellets in another area to give them something specific to eat and keep them full.
It doesn't work well, i even fed them a chunk of shrimp meat every day evening since i noticed they were eating my frogspawn...i should move the gold torch the first day, lessons learned!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago my peppermint shrimp ate my acans the whole center of the mouth right out all the way down to the bone since that moment I decided I will never have another shrimp in my tank again besides my pistol shrimp which stays underneath the rocks

OP
OP
Gqch

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Many different species of peppermint shrimp, here are a few of the common ones. Unfortunately only 1, maybe 2 of these of these species are reef safe. I can not remember which ones as I read about this a very long time ago.
with that being said, I’d imagine even the reef safe ones can go rogue in some cases.
Looks all same to me lol

Back