Peppermint shrimp added

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughh, I just added a peppermint shrimp to my 180 gallon to hopefully help with aiptaisa. I’ve never had one before and just really hope it doesn’t go rogue! But that may not even be a concern if my Melanorus wrass starts to eyeball it. :grinning-face-with-sweat: The wrass doesn’t bother my bigger fire shrimps, but the last skunk I added was small and turned into a fancy meal.

I tried to determine what species the peppermint was as I hear that Lysmata wurdemanni Is preferable. But I couldn’t tell.
IMG_5658.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the can help, the don’t travel much especially with an aggressor, so clear your Aptasia, unlikely.
The only thing that ever worked for me fast and 100% was the sea grass file fish.
He didn’t touch any for 6 weeks or so, then, wiped them out completely in 2 weeks.
Then I put him back in the refuge so he doesn’t munch anything else, not sure if he would, but his job was over. Easy to catch they are slow.
It’s been 6 months now, not one Aptasia.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the can help, the don’t travel much especially with an aggressor, so clear your Aptasia, unlikely.
The only thing that ever worked for me fast and 100% was the sea grass file fish.
He didn’t touch any for 6 weeks or so, then, wiped them out completely in 2 weeks.
Then I put him back in the refuge so he doesn’t munch anything else, not sure if he would, but his job was over. Easy to catch they are slow.
It’s been 6 months now, not one Aptasia.
I tried to place him where I see most of them pop up but it just gets to be more and more. I’ve been trying to kill them with aiptaisa x.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried to place him where I see most of them pop up but it just gets to be more and more. I’ve been trying to kill them with aiptaisa x.
You have to assure you have the true Peppermint shrimp like the ones from algae barn. They pose risk in going after zoa, food and other shrimp.
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away. If you have an infestation, You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to assure you have the true Peppermint shrimp like the ones from algae barn. They pose risk in going after zoa, food and other shrimp.
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away. If you have an infestation, You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png
I’ll have to check that fish out!

etcee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had luck with them eating aiptaisa. I got my recent one from TSA. Don't panic if he doesn't eat it right away, give it a few days, mine took about a week before I started to see aiptaisa disappear.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1669774874713.png
I was looking and found one of these fish at marine collectors… but the overview states it is not reef compatible. Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was looking and found one of these fish at marine collectors… but the overview states it is not reef compatible. Thoughts?
yellow/common will turn on coral. Blue much safer

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back