Peppermint shrimp and zoas

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of aiptasia popping up in my 28G zoa tank. They just split and multiply on me when I've used Aiptasia-X, lemon juice or Kalk paste. Even the majano wand is ineffective, so I'm thinking of adding a peppermint shrimp to the tank.

Looking though various forums, it seems like most folks think that the peppermints are generally okay with zoas, but what do the zoa experts on here have to say?

Thanks.

jimo12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine either but hasn't touched aiptasia, just killed it with boiling water now just wait and see if it comes back with company

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimps are the devil.... Like I have said more times than I can count on this, other forums.. soft tissue corals are fair game, as are zoas. That said, zoas are maybe #4 on peppermints list of things to eat, but definitely still on the list..
Being diligent with remedies like Aptasia-x, Kalk paste or whatever is, IMO, a better solution than the probable problems that peppermints will cause.
Type in "do peppermint shrimp eat corals" and do some reading.. you'll probably find a ton of my and many other reefers posts saying the same thing.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting, we never had an issue with peppermint shrimp until this last batch were they literally were feeding on the acans, not stealing food from the coral. Plus, through out the years we never had peppermint shrimp eliminate aptasia, very hit and miss. They only liked the small aptasia

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have debated catching my peppermint in my mixed reef who has eaten aptasia over to my zoa garden. I have found very small aptasia on a few recent purchases (took about a month for them to show themselves in my tank). At the moment I have succeeded with putty on rock work and super glue when the aptasia is within the colony. You must sacrifice a polyp or 2, but it seems to work and I think it helps prevent spreading.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no “yes or no” answer as to whether or not they eat coral. Some do, some don’t. The last two I bought: one almost destroyed my hammer coral (luckily he wasn’t able to eat all of it before I got him out) and would kill and eat my nassarius snails... the other one is a mode citizen and still in my tank. :)

Like DSC says, they aren’t always going to eat Aptasia either, however.

If you would like to try them out, no problem... however I would recommend you get yourself a water bottle trap set up in case you need to banish one or more of them to the sump.

It’s like basically everything in this hobby... your results my vary. ;):p

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a number of aiptasia popping up in my 28G zoa tank. They just split and multiply on me when I've used Aiptasia-X, lemon juice or Kalk paste. Even the majano wand is ineffective, so I'm thinking of adding a peppermint shrimp to the tank.

Looking though various forums, it seems like most folks think that the peppermints are generally okay with zoas, but what do the zoa experts on here have to say?

Thanks.
You should be fine initially. I'd still suggest setting the alarm for middle of the night and check on the Zoas with a Purple or red light. If you have a bad shrimp, he'll be chewing a little zoa snack around 3am for sure. As the aptasia thin out, remove some shrimp too. If none of the Zoas are harmed 1-2 weeks after Aptasia are gone you might have a good keeper crew.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the inputs. I've done a fair bit of reading and come to the conclusion that it depends. :)

The only corals in this tank are zoas/palys and I intend to keep it that way. Many folks have suggested that the peppermints don't actually eat the zoas, but are instead picking at the detritus and whatnot between the polyps. Having no personal experience, I have no idea whether this is correct.

I may pick one up and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Keith Cuellar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad mr kitty

giphy.gif

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get them.

Only Get One.

Then You Only have to get one out when they are done with Aiptasia (Before they go after Your Coral).

The More You get the More Stress You will Have Getting them out of the Tank.

And the More Messed Up Your Tank will look after You are Done.

Aiptasia-X or Berghia Nudis would be much better Options.

305Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dealt with this issue ad absurdum in my tanks. Here’s my .02. Peppermints are a diverse group of shrimp with several different species that are really hard to differentiate. Only one species in particular eats Aiptasia. It will only eat aiptasia when it’s crazy hungry, which is unfortunately when it also eats zoas.. it also will not eat the entire anemone, it just gardens them, which in turn actually causes them to spread exponentially faster... Berghia Nudibranchs are the way to go. All day. Every day.

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a 9$ peppermint shrimp, he made short work of all my aptasia. Then the next day made short work of my 60$ rock flower. Right when I put it in the tank I youtubed them and saw so many videos of them eating corals I'm like surely not. Surely it did. On the upper hand at the cost of 69$ I have yet to have aptasia again but the shrimp.. well I'll put it this way hes no longer with me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back