Peppermint shrimp breeding success but a problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Levinson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The hydroids were one of those anemone looking ones, not the stringy type.
 
So my peppermint have bred, how did you get them past the larval state? I’ve been interested in trying to rear them!
 
Even after moving them to the bigger box and putting in 2 peices of egg crates, the killing didn't stop.
I finanlly setup the new tank and they have now moved but it took me too long. What was over 90 peppermint shrimps are now more like around 20. These b@st@r!s would gang up on the sibling that has newly molted and eat them when they are soft. In the small confined space, they had no where to run or hide. Also, they seem to know when a shrimp is about to molt even before they do and would follow them around, waiting to attack when they molt. Quite interesting indeed.
I guess I let it happen becasue I was too lazy. Next time I'll breed hundreds of them and they'll all live to grow big.
Oh and some of the second gen peppermint shrimps have berried eggs.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new