Peppermint shrimp eating coral

Bpoff123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my torch coral looking kind of funny. I watched the tank for about an hour and saw my peppermint shrimp come out of hiding and start ripping through my torch. Pieces of the torch flying off. Any suggestions on how to catch this shrimp, I am trying to give him his eviction notice but can't get him out from behind the rocks

watty21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with this EXACT scenario and now I'm very anti shrimp. Also had an emerald crab eat the replacement torch after removing the shrimp. So watch out for those as well!

I called in help and had one person blocking spots the shrimp liked to hide while the other tried to net it. Took about an hour in just a 40 gallon. Good luck! Let us know if you come up with any tricks yourself.

Also, if you can, try to remove the floating torch pieces if you can catch any!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off top of plastic water bottle.
Tie piece of fish/shrimp to a stone! Put in bottom of bottle.
Lower into water where shrimp usually stays.
Watch.
He’ll go in.....put your net on the opening.....take out.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch.
Totally agree, these shrimp are pretty easy to catch this way.

OP
OP
Bpoff123

Bpoff123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch.
Worked like a charm. Thank you! I was going to get a pistol shrimp for my goby. Anyone have issues with those guys as well, I don't want to end up in the same boat

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worked like a charm. Thank you! I was going to get a pistol shrimp for my goby. Anyone have issues with those guys as well, I don't want to end up in the same boat
I have had a fire red shrimp and a skunk cleaner no problem. The peppermint I heard are an issue like you experienced.
Pistols are completely fine and won’t bother corals. Just be prepared for your tank to have about 20 holes in it every morning and make sure your rock work is secure and on the bottom of the glass or it will shift.
I had a tiger pistol that was honestly such a pain in my butt (would dig everywhereeee) so I got a candy cane pistol when I disassembled and moved the tank. Much smaller (and prettier looking) but he too likes to dig holes everywhere. Some pistols will dig a few holes then find a place they like. Mine legit digs holes every night and it’s low key annoying but could just be unlucky with his enthusiasm

Back