Peppermint shrimp in rear chamber (AIO)

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I purchased the last peppermint shrimp at a LFS to tackle some aiptasia. I only saw him that first day/night and thought my pistol shrimp got him since I heard 5 consecutive snaps that night and never saw the shrimp again. Well today while doing maintenance I saw what looked like antennas next to my return pump. Upon closer and to our surprise there is a peppermint shrimp in the rear chamber. Still baffle on how it got back there but the question is

How do I get him out? I was thinking about removing everything in the chamber (Pump, heater, ATO sensors, probes) and use a net with some food. Tank is IM20 gallon so it's a bit tight and don't want to drop him behind the tank.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you take equipment out of chamber can your hand reach down there?

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all the way. I think the issue is the IM have some void space on those rear chamber. Which happens to be where the shrimp is. I added a picture for reference.

IM20_Rearchamber_Shrimp.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that might be difficult to grab him out. Like you stated try some food with the net down there and maybe he will come out of there

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you lower some kind of jar into a rear chamber with food inside?

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 16/20oz water bottle would fit straight down. The chamber is a little less than 3". I'm looking at a few videos now and they seem to use larger jar and/or bottle to catch them but from the main display.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd give it a shot with something enticing like a fresh piece of mussel, there are many shrimps but they all share the same big appetite

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give siphon a try tomorrow and see it I can get him in the tube. If not I will try the DIY bottle trap with something in it to entice. I have some Reef Riot Carnivore I can throw in there.

Attachments

• DiY_trap.jpg
    DiY_trap.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 44

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it may help to empty out the overflow and second back compartments during a water change and then you can clearly see down the chambers into the weird hidden chamber for easier maneuverability to help suck him up.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago I purchased the last peppermint shrimp at a LFS to tackle some aiptasia. I only saw him that first day/night and thought my pistol shrimp got him since I heard 5 consecutive snaps that night and never saw the shrimp again. Well today while doing maintenance I saw what looked like antennas next to my return pump. Upon closer and to our surprise there is a peppermint shrimp in the rear chamber. Still baffle on how it got back there but the question is

How do I get him out? I was thinking about removing everything in the chamber (Pump, heater, ATO sensors, probes) and use a net with some food. Tank is IM20 gallon so it's a bit tight and don't want to drop him behind the tank.
Wait hold up—you heard snaps and the shrimp disappeared?! It’s great he’s alive, but, unless you have a pistol shrimp, it sounds like it escaped a mantis shrimp attack! You might wanna investigate that.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to update this thread: I was able to get the shrimp out of the back chamber. I ended using a net with some food in it to lure him. Turn off the return pump which causes my water level to raise and water reach the second chamber where I left the net with food until he got in.

Wait hold up—you heard snaps and the shrimp disappeared?! It’s great he’s alive, but, unless you have a pistol shrimp, it sounds like it escaped a mantis shrimp attack! You might wanna investigate that.
Yeah, I have a small candy pistol shrimp in there.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op: dont you do it
The shrimp: looking innocent as ever
The op: I swear to god if u do it
The shrimp: Bye have a great time

Lenett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back