Peppermint Shrimp

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the group. Do or will peppermint shrimp start eating soft corals if there is no more aptasia in the tank?
I got a peppermint in a bowl with tons of soft corals. No signs of aggression.
I feed the shrimp everyday with pellets.
just my gut feeling.. but I think he would be aggressive toward corals IF there is no much food avaliable.

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen this in my tank, but I believe there are camel shrimp (?) that often get confused with peppermint shrimp.

I’ve never had an issue with my peppermint shrimp eating coral, but it’s worth mentioning that they will eat dead or damaged coral tissue! This can be beneficial for the coral, but I imagine alarming for the person who sees this happening lol

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they get fed and they won't really eat corals. What soft corals are you thinking of? I think at least mushrooms/zoas are basically zero risk.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad experience with this shrimp. It not only didn’t get my aiptasia, but ate my BTA anemone and some LPS corals (wagon wheel plate, frammer, trumpet/candy cane, that I remember) during the night.
Really wanted to try again, but I’m afraid it could go after my hammers and blastos… only one aiptasia spotted here…

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two in my 50 and no more aptasia. Neither of them have eaten any coral BUT when I feed my LPS I have to feed the shrimp too or they will steal the food right out of the corals mouths.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad experience with this shrimp. It not only didn’t get my aiptasia, but ate my BTA anemone and some LPS corals (wagon wheel plate, frammer, trumpet/candy cane, that I remember) during the night.
Really wanted to try again, but I’m afraid it could go after my hammers and blastos… only one aiptasia spotted here…
Resist those peps.
Spot treatment.
Mine killed a BTA, scolly and Traci.
Now, I have no shrimp, no irchin and no crabs…….and strangely, I have not lost not a thing since.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed heavy but every time I have tried Peppermint Shrimp they ended up eating coral once they got about a year old after being trouble free when they were smaller. Never softies for me though. They seemed to prefer acans and blastos the most.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back