Peppermint Shrimp

Auphoenix43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble keeping these alive in my tank. I have 2 cleaner shrimp that are fine, and 15 different types of snails that are also fine. I have softies and a few LPS and 2 clowns in a 65 gallon AIO. My parameters are stable and I keep nitrates at about 10 and phosphates at .01. No problems with algae or anything. Could the bristle worms be getting them and killing them? I can’t figure out why everything else is fine but peppermint shrimp don’t last more than 2 days.
Thanks

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is odd. They tend to be pretty hardy, and nothing you listed would kill them. What are you seeing that makes you think they are dead? A full corpse or just the shell? Those shrimp tend to hide really well, and you wouldn't be the first person to mistake a molt for a dead shrimp.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the source from where your getting them from maybe ??? Oh and you might want to bring your phosphates up to at least 0.05

OP
OP
A

Auphoenix43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is odd. They tend to be pretty hardy, and nothing you listed would kill them. What are you seeing that makes you think they are dead? A full corpse or just the shell? Those shrimp tend to hide really well, and you wouldn't be the first person to mistake a molt for a dead shrimp.
It is the full body and not the molt. It’s weird, the cleaner shrimp molt regularly and are fine. Maybe I need to acclimate them longer before putting them in the tank?

OP
OP
A

Auphoenix43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the source from where your getting them from maybe ??? Oh and you might want to bring your phosphates up to at least 0.05
I thought about that so I have gotten them from 2 different fish stores and no better luck from varying that. Maybe the place they are getting them from has a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back