Percula vs Ocellaris Clownfish in a 26 Gallon Nano Tank

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add a pair of clownfish to my 26 gallon nano Peninsula tank. I've been reading about Percula clownfish as an alternative to Ocellaris and it looks like they grow to a slightly larger size. Would they be too large for a 26 gallon all-in-one Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula?

Would they outgrow my aquascape? You can check out my tank/aquascape by clicking on my Build Thread badge (I can't paste the URL into text boxes on my office computer).

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a legitimate difference exist between the two. Particularly in captive bred stock where they have likely been crossed at some point whether intentionally or accidentally. If they were wild fish I would say sure a difference exists. Since I am assuming captive bred individuals I doubt there is a difference.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a legitimate difference exist between the two. Particularly in captive bred stock where they have likely been crossed at some point whether intentionally or accidentally. If they were wild fish I would say sure a difference exists. Since I am assuming captive bred individuals I doubt there is a difference.
There’s difference in appearance but care and size wise they’re generally the same.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will clowns grow to there surroundings or no?
Unfortunately no, I don’t believe there is a fish that grows to its surroundings. Instead it stunts the fish’s growth and can harm them.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s difference in appearance but care and size wise they’re generally the same.
Well yes. I assumed the question was more of compatibility and care. In my experience percula can be a tad bit more aggressive but not enough to play a role in stocking decisions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes. I assumed the question was more of compatibility and care. In my experience percula can be a tad bit more aggressive but not enough to play a role in stocking decisions.
Honestly… Wait until you get a Percula. They’re downright nasty. I’ve never had an Occelaris bite me but my Percula, Occelaris hybrid is vile

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly… Wait until you get a Percula. They’re downright nasty. I’ve never had an Occelaris bite me but my Percula, Occelaris hybrid is vile
Oh I have a black and white Occelaris. She's bit me at least 500 times. It's a nasty animal. Lives by herself again. We've tried three times. And she always ends up all by her lonesome wiggling in a cristata. Meanest animal I've ever messed with.

If bio-reef opened at 10 am instead of 11 they would have a nice big fat healthy 6 year old black and white for sale.

Shanephillips27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add a pair of clownfish to my 26 gallon nano Peninsula tank. I've been reading about Percula clownfish as an alternative to Ocellaris and it looks like they grow to a slightly larger size. Would they be too large for a 26 gallon all-in-one Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula?

Would they outgrow my aquascape? You can check out my tank/aquascape by clicking on my Build Thread badge (I can't paste the URL into text boxes on my office computer).
I also am looking to add a pair of clownfish to this same tank. Did you get your answer?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they wouldn't be too big. But they will absolutely dominate it. They will be quite cozy as a pair. But it won't be a great community tank.

Only my opinion of course. I think clowns as part of a community need to be in quite large tanks. I've seen one take over more than half of a 40 breeder.

But I also feel they are quite content in small pair or single fish tanks. Down to 15g

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am looking to add a pair of clownfish to this same tank. Did you get your answer?
I just added a bonded pair of Ocellaris from @Dr. Reef and they're doing great. Before I added them I took my salinity down to 1.023 because they ship at 1.022 and I'm going to water change to 1.025-1.026 over the next few weeks. Since they're the first fish they get the full-tank acclimation treatment. They started getting cozy in about 15 minutes.

If I add any other fish it'll be a sand sifting goby. It should have enough places to hide. The Ocellaris is supposed to be less aggressive than the Percula.

Overloading our tanks can be an issue so I'd look to keep it simple.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back