Peristaltic Pump Tubing Expiration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gtinnel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 20, 2020
Messages
23,326
Reaction score
29,212
Location
Charleston, WV
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking for some peristaltic pump tubing online and found a roll of Tygon E-LFL tubing on eBay for cheap, but it’s 4 years past the manufacturers expiration date (which is 2 years from manufacture date).

Does anyone have any experience with old peristaltic tubing, and if so did you have any issues with it? My guess is that they have an expiration date for liability reasons since the stuff is designed for laboratory and medical fields and is probably still usable for a long time after the expiration date.
 
A few years ago I bought 20 ft of pharmed tubing for my master flex pump. No issues using it and it is likely 6-7 years old now. I think like you stated it's more of a liability issue but as long as the tubing is in good shape should be fine.
 
Plastics get brittle over time. You may find it doesn’t last as long, but may last long enough to still cost less per day than new tubing.
 
With the price I paid for the tubing for even if the life of the tubing is diminished by half I still got a good deal.
Now I’m curious if there is anyway to tell approximately how much of the stated life of the tubing I actually get. According to the manufacturer with 10psi the tubing will last 600 hours with a 3 roller pump at 600 rpm. So if I am running my 3 roller pump head at 100 rpm could I expect about 6 times the tubing life (in hours)?
 
Last edited:
According to the manufacturer with 10psi the tubing will last 600 hours with a 3 roller pump at 600 rpm. So if I am running my 3 roller pump head at 100 rpm could I expect about 6 times the tubing life (in hours)?

I do not know how those things relate, but that would be my first pass approximation.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new