Peristaltic pumps and Kalk Reactors

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm currently using a Kamoer dosing pump to feed RO/DI water to my Avast Kalk Reactor which does 8 liters per day in a total of 24 doses (333 mL every hour).

I've had one pump fail from what I presumed was either bad luck or too much dosing volume. I switched to another doser on the unit and it failed this morning.

Does anyone else have experience dosing large volumes through peristaltic pumps? Is this a likely cause of the problem? Would anyone happen to have recommendations to solve this issue?

Thanks

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one are you using? Some peri pumps are designed for continuous use, others are not. What failed? Heads and tubing need periodic replacement. If the motor failed, then clearly the pump isn’t up to the task you are asking of it. Hard to offer much in the way of advice absent key details.

OP
OP
S

Sebae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Kamoer x4 WiFi doser. I believe it is the motor that failed.

I'm guessing it isn't up to the task of continuous dosing. I didn't know there were continuous pumps and non-continuous.

Thanks for the reply and probably solution

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn't need a continuous duty peristaltic pump for a Kalk reactor, assuming it is not dripping Kalk 24 hrs a day. That being said, if you have the space (or can conceal it) a Cole Parmer is what I am using for Kalk dosing. It is extremely precise, tubing is the only thing I will ever need to replace (at about $1 each replacement), and the unit only cost me $150 on eBay.

If this isn't an option I would look at reliable/tried dosing pumps. SpectraPure and GHL come to mind.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't need a continuous duty peristaltic pump for a Kalk reactor, assuming it is not dripping Kalk 24 hrs a day. That being said, if you have the space (or can conceal it) a Cole Parmer is what I am using for Kalk dosing. It is extremely precise, tubing is the only thing I will ever need to replace (at about $1 each replacement), and the unit only cost me $150 on eBay.

If this isn't an option I would look at reliable/tried dosing pumps. SpectraPure and GHL come to mind.
I’ve used a spectrapure liter meter 3 for kalk for many years. I think it’s great.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an Apex? I use a Spectrapure stand alone Basic Peristaltic Pump in conjunction with my Apex. My Spectrapure stand alone pump doses at a rate of 160 ml/min. So I use this Apex dosing program generator to figure out the programming.

If you don’t run an Apex, then I’d agree with the above that the full Spectrapure Litermeter III is the way to go dor dosing kalk with a peristaltic pump.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back