Peroxide Dip for New Fish?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish's Hybrid Tank Transfer Method (HTTM) "incorporates" a couple of 150ppm H2O2 baths spaced 6 days apart. It's an additional part of a bigger QT plan and not suggested (I think) as a one-time fix all.

That said, I do it (HTTM) but don't think a one-time H2O2 dip is sufficient for much.
*Jay's "Current Quarantine Protocol" on this site is most popular here and probably for good reasons

Someone already posted either QT or don't,,, single H2O2 bath is closer to the "don't" category in my opinion

OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and once again the majority of members who replied to your post were not in favor of doing so. That said do what you want. I don’t understand what you’re not understanding? You asked a question members replied.
This chart is for a bath - Not treatment
This is the comment I'm not understanding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People safely dip fish in peroxide. Whether or not it would be effective for what I'm asking about is questionable apparently.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should quarantine new fish, but I don't have the space for a second tank. So, I was thinking, I know peroxide won't eliminate everything, but I feel like a bath before introduction would eliminate a couple of the more serious and common issues that come along with some non-quarantined fish. I asked my LFS if that made sense and they assured me that it does. Any reason not to do this, other than possibly stressing a fish?
Peroxide dips at 75 to 100 ppm have been shown to reduce Amyloodinium infections, and dip/move to a sterile tank three times cures the infection.

Flukes and ich tomonts are a lot sturdier. To kill those, you get into the realm of causing damage to the fish’s skin and gills.

The biggest issue with using any sort of a dipping in place of a full quarantine is that they are very stressful, right at the point when the new fish is already at maximum stress. A better option would be to let the fish adjust for 72 hours in its own tank, then dip it. Of course, if the fish has its own tank to use for that, you’d be better off using that for a full quarantine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back