Perpetual algae bloom

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a state of perpetual algae bloom. I can provide parameters. Bug three monitored by trident but phosaphates around .1, nitrate 2.5. Having trouble cleaning glass daily with film and water is cloudy. Tank has been running for a year and I can’t stabilize this thing. I can provide whatever information you want but corals die when going into this tank, have a harder time keeping things alive than my 32 biocube with no filtration.

Any ideas?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, rip clean it and make it look and run like these:

it fixes algae and invasion issues in amazing ways. then, when your tank is cleaned vs invaded, you'd perfect your topoff water and light levels and intensity etc (all the common preventatives people have you try in the invaded condition)

a battle as long term as your specifically calls for a ripper.

post a tank pic, lets see if it has a classic sandbed + rock stack so we can prepare best approaches. there isn't a doser or parameter trick that will beat the above method in a nano, dosers kill the target (hopefully) and then sink all its waste into the crevices. a rip clean instates complete export and manual control of surfaces so that the reset tank looks exactly like you would want in a reef, and its shown as a post work example in hundreds of rip clean jobs, above is an easy to read six best of the best examples.

the trick is to run all your preventatives in the clean condition, not the invaded condition, which is what everyone always recommends. the waste built up over the last year specifically needs removing via skip cycle methods.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after you have caused a perfectly clean and fixed tank per above, we can try preventions to select from:

UV
or

or change in clean up crew

assessing white light vs blue balance, and intensity

bioload changes to provide less nutrients ongoing if needed

topoff water perfection

cuc streamlining

the # impulse you'll be challenged by is to skip the manual work and proceed with indirect controls, which haven't worked. try and resist that lol, we can fix your tank if you are done being invaded. all that is required is a willing aquarist to be uninvaded, not any other traits are needed and we certainly don't need to know your params or any other excuses in order to produce for you a perfectly clean reef.

all changes to your tank and your reefing angle comes in the clean, uninvaded, no cloud condition.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your using 0tds water
Use a uv sterilizer, works on algae and bacterial blooms
Make sure your skimmer is doing it job
Do a rip clean if you have to,

A picture of what your dealing with might be helpfull. Ive shut a couple tanks down because of bacterial blooms. Uv sterilizers prevent them when there appropriately sized and will help with the algae. Side note, never had a bacterial bloom with a bare bottom tank.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a rip clean like @brandon4 suggested. There alot of work but worth it.

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple of FTS. Simple 1” sandbox. Somewhat Negative aquascape.

0F52C09B-6C26-467A-A3A0-F78852C60D9D.jpeg 51C4ED3B-91B1-40DC-810D-EDFF712CDAD3.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that already looks quite nice, the degree of algae doesnt look bad at all unless the blue light is concealing it. sharp reef! hey I was at aquashella 2018 I bet we crossed paths there lol small world

I was next door most of the time heh, a joke for dallas-ites only.

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put thousands of dollars in corals in here over the last year and all seem to fizzle out and die. Its quite weird, I will lose the coral color though polyps will be colored and then they die. Happens every...time...its not RTN/STN from the base, I've never seen what is happening to these corals. I've done multiple

I took out most of my leathers and put in my biocube (this tank is 180G waterbox). Driving me crazy.

On the rip clean, I haven't been in the forums for about 6 months, what is this? Many people saying a good idea, which I'm open to anything. I'm spending a crazy amount on this tank to get it right, but the same result occurs no matter what I do.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put thousands of dollars in corals in here over the last year and all seem to fizzle out and die. Its quite weird, I will lose the coral color though polyps will be colored and then they die. Happens every...time...its not RTN/STN from the base, I've never seen what is happening to these corals. I've done multiple

I took out most of my leathers and put in my biocube (this tank is 180G waterbox). Driving me crazy.

On the rip clean, I haven't been in the forums for about 6 months, what is this? Many people saying a good idea, which I'm open to anything. I'm spending a crazy amount on this tank to get it right, but the same result occurs no matter what I do.

This is most likely a bacterial bloom kills coral quickly (days usually) sometimes its hard to realize you have one. Especially in a small tank. If you look from end to end of the tank the long ways and you see the water is cloudy thats what it is. Some very hardy coral can survive like gsp. Some people just add a uv sterilizer but it can become an underlying problem in the aquarium as the uv sterilizer doesn't usually solve this just kills most of the bacteria. For some reason its only ever happened to me with sand in the tank. Id recommend restarting the tank. Clean the sand and get a uv if you can. Or restart without sand or fresh sand (not proven to work but has worked for me). Like I said this has happened twice to me, each time I simply put my coral in a different tank and it didn't spread some died that I didn't move fast enough. I dont think I'm the only one that goes barebottom because of this. Bacterial blooms happen in the ocean to I believe. Sometimes bad blooms will kill your fish (oxygen starvation)

OP
OP
S

Surferboy1500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is most likely a bacterial bloom kills coral quickly (days usually) sometimes its hard to realize you have one. Especially in a small tank. If you look from end to end of the tank the long ways and you see the water is cloudy thats what it is. Some very hardy coral can survive like gsp. Some people just add a uv sterilizer but it can become an underlying problem in the aquarium as the uv sterilizer doesn't usually solve this just kills most of the bacteria. For some reason its only ever happened to me with sand in the tank. Id recommend restarting the tank. Clean the sand and get a uv if you can. Or restart without sand or fresh sand (not proven to work but has worked for me). Like I said this has happened twice to me, each time I simply put my coral in a different tank and it didn't spread some died that I didn't move fast enough. I dont think I'm the only one that goes barebottom because of this. Bacterial blooms happen in the ocean to I believe. Sometimes bad blooms will kill your fish (oxygen starvation)
Suggestion is to restart? Meaning take out fish/sand/corals and let the rock dry? really tough since I don't have a place for all these fish. Its a 180G. And yes, looking end-to-end (this is a peninsula), super cloudy and its constant. I can't figure out a way to bring this down.

Last edited:

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the lfs will hold your fish, or you could set up a smaller tank. It doesn't have to be huge as it is only temporary. You could get creative with a dehumidifier and the rock to dry it quickly. Although it think alot if people would recommend cureing the rock. I have a suspicion that the bacteria is mostly in the sand bed though. Best of luck, I think the end result will be worth it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back