Perplexed about high Iodine level…

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some used dry rock and Tampa live rock, threw it all in a 100 Rubbermaid stock tank and dosed it with some bacteria in a bottle. I dropped 3 turbo snails in the tank, amphipods, copepods and been dosing with phytoplankton, sheets of Nori for the snails and a cube of frozen fish food. I was worried that the used rock may have been contaminated with copper so after 6 weeks, I sent a water sample off to Triton for an ICP test.

Good news – no copper detected. I knew phosphates would be high but was surprised to see Barium was high at 62.00 µg/l and Iodine was extremely high at 222.00 µg/l. I am using Red Sea Coral Pro at 1.026 SG.

What could have made the Iodine so high?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some used dry rock and Tampa live rock, threw it all in a 100 Rubbermaid stock tank and dosed it with some bacteria in a bottle. I dropped 3 turbo snails in the tank, amphipods, copepods and been dosing with phytoplankton, sheets of Nori for the snails and a cube of frozen fish food. I was worried that the used rock may have been contaminated with copper so after 6 weeks, I sent a water sample off to Triton for an ICP test.

Good news – no copper detected. I knew phosphates would be high but was surprised to see Barium was high at 62.00 µg/l and Iodine was extremely high at 222.00 µg/l. I am using Red Sea Coral Pro at 1.026 SG.

What could have made the Iodine so high?
Nori is high in Iodine.

The level is a little high, but not a big problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The barium is no concern.
What company did the icp? It may just be an error, but even if not, I’d just ignore it if you are not dosing. I think that level is not a concern.

OP
OP
M

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something funny. Don’t add 3 turbo snails after adding macro algae. You DO know the outcome.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back