OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why,but I follow your thread and don't get notifications for it. But this piece,WOW !!! Glad to hear the red bug episode went smoothly and everything is going good.
20221023_124418.jpg

Hey Steve
Thank you for the kind words!
That's the BC Battlegum Milli, it is definitely unique, similar to the Sniper SPS bubblegum milli, but BC version. I love the thick branches, although only 2, lol, but has put down a ton of base, should blow up soon, fingers crossed!

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely !! I may habe to grab a piece whenever its ready along with the WD/OP are ready.

That is a Mille for you lol they always bade out then BOOM start shooting branches off it seems like its every day lol.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely !! I may habe to grab a piece whenever its ready along with the WD/OP are ready.

That is a Mille for you lol they always bade out then BOOM start shooting branches off it seems like its every day lol.

Indeed Steve,
Millis are baffling, some just go nuts, while others just puddle. My BC Conveyor Of Fleshdunce is finally waking up after nearly a year, lol...
The Battlegum is unique in my tank with the thick conical branches, albeit 2, the shape is worth the wait :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot,thats all Acro's lol.

I have been meaning to ask you,what do you run your ph at ? You don't run kalk do you ?

I pull air from outside, and that's it. My PH is usually 7.8 to 7.9 at low and 8.1 to 8.2 at high. I use ESV for main 3. Autmated with 2 part, hand dose mg. My take is that with a lower alk I feel my PH is in proper range. My growth is faster than I prefer, as the Deepwater smoothies grow much slower, as do Tenuis for me. My Pearlberry is my fastest grower for sure. Some are on the verge of really taking off. Balancing growth and color can be challenging, and requires moving pieces around for optimal growth and contrast :)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry, do you feel that you lack optimal color in some pieces because they grow so fast?

Here is a picture of a new addition in my tank, that I havent seen you list yet. The Palmers Blue Milli. Such an old classic that I love. However, I have been taking some notes on some of your frags that I might want to add to my system.

Corey

Attachments

• 89918F9F-7FC0-4921-BFD1-079A2B86C27C_1_201_a.jpeg
    89918F9F-7FC0-4921-BFD1-079A2B86C27C_1_201_a.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry, do you feel that you lack optimal color in some pieces because they grow so fast?

Here is a picture of a new addition in my tank, that I havent seen you list yet. The Palmers Blue Milli. Such an old classic that I love. However, I have been taking some notes on some of your frags that I might want to add to my system.

Corey

Hi Corey,
It is difficult to totally answer that question, due to red bugs. Post treatment, nearly every coral is expanding polyps, even smoothies. This is truly a great sign. I suspect that stalled, colored down, browned outs, etc were by and large due to the red bugs. That said, my faster growing corals seem most colorful throughout the tank. I don't obsess over growth though, in my case, it's a complaint, as I prefer that even colony look. Here's an example. This Pearlberry has grown from a 3 branched chunky frag(2") to this in 10 months, but pretty has heck.
IMG_20221023_205318_284.jpg

This BC Hellflower, another example of crazy growth, but pretty color. 1.5" chunky frag, 10 months later.
IMG_20221102_183701_584.jpg

So, I guess all in all, I am definitely more relaxed, stopped adding carbon/bacteria source, they weren't pulling elevated N03 down. Decided to just skim heavy, feed heavy, and do water changes weekly. This has brought me down and leveled the N03 to P04 relation. Incidentally, the biome looks more settled, less uglies/algaes.I still have a few ocd tendencies, like cleaning glass daily, or moving corals around, lol...
Cheers,
:)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats actually not a bad fluctuation at all from night to day. I just have a feeling you got all slower growing pieces lol. But colors on everything look spot on and amazing.

I still haven't added anything to my tank besides a CUC and just letting the tank run its course. Its been cycled since June/July lol. Really I am in no rush to add anything. I am in a rush to to build my DIY led var though,I have just been lazy and haven't ordered the heatsink,and I am waiting on a person from another forum to sell me their mp10,so I mat run 2 mp10's on different settings.

Currently how the tank sits:
20221112_193639.jpg

And a pico I have that will be for my boys,probably all Zoa's and maybe a few LPS with a DIY light:
20221113_153014.jpg

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh,maaaybe. I am a Tenuis guy myself,but will allow a few select Mille's that catch my eye.

But thank you,I believe the return and dual RFG's and the MP10 will be plenty of flow. The 2nd MP10 will be if I need more flow or go on the 10" cube for the boys.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Corey,
It is difficult to totally answer that question, due to red bugs. Post treatment, nearly every coral is expanding polyps, even smoothies. This is truly a great sign. I suspect that stalled, colored down, browned outs, etc were by and large due to the red bugs. That said, my faster growing corals seem most colorful throughout the tank. I don't obsess over growth though, in my case, it's a complaint, as I prefer that even colony look. Here's an example. This Pearlberry has grown from a 3 branched chunky frag(2") to this in 10 months, but pretty has heck.
IMG_20221023_205318_284.jpg

This BC Hellflower, another example of crazy growth, but pretty color. 1.5" chunky frag, 10 months later.
IMG_20221102_183701_584.jpg

So, I guess all in all, I am definitely more relaxed, stopped adding carbon/bacteria source, they weren't pulling elevated N03 down. Decided to just skim heavy, feed heavy, and do water changes weekly. This has brought me down and leveled the N03 to P04 relation. Incidentally, the biome looks more settled, less uglies/algaes.I still have a few ocd tendencies, like cleaning glass daily, or moving corals around, lol...
Cheers,
:)
Stunning as usual, my friend.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Perry. I feel in my tank some of my fastest growers have good colors. However the ones growing by laying a big base down, are not coloring up as well. It’s almost like they put the energy to base out. But the ones growing upwards have color. It is perplexing to me but I know it’s different in everyone’s tank. Just curious what your experience was. You do have some amazing colors going on in there!
i have been documenting my coral progression in my cube and while I’m not chasing growth, I’ve had some pieces grow crazy amounts and others not so much. Some color up well and others haven’t yet. Just like a woman…..not sure what they want! Haha. I dream of Colors like yours…… :cool: Might need to play with the lighting some.

corey

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh,maaaybe. I am a Tenuis guy myself,but will allow a few select Mille's that catch my eye.

But thank you,I believe the return and dual RFG's and the MP10 will be plenty of flow. The 2nd MP10 will be if I need more flow or go on the 10" cube for the boys.

That's the beauty of this hobby ;)
I have started to shift my focus to deepwater smoothies lately. Just something about that smooth skin :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning as usual, my friend.

Thank Rick, I appreciate the kind words brother! Just trying to enjoy this complex yet intriguing hobby. I think the key to success is being challenged/motivated during the rough times, and humble during good times. My best advise for anyone, keeping any tank is to clean your glass daily. It's an aquarium after all. Ensuring this simple routine, keeps you engaged and interested in the hobby. Regardless of what's in the tank, it sure does look better clean :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Perry. I feel in my tank some of my fastest growers have good colors. However the ones growing by laying a big base down, are not coloring up as well. It’s almost like they put the energy to base out. But the ones growing upwards have color. It is perplexing to me but I know it’s different in everyone’s tank. Just curious what your experience was. You do have some amazing colors going on in there!
i have been documenting my coral progression in my cube and while I’m not chasing growth, I’ve had some pieces grow crazy amounts and others not so much. Some color up well and others haven’t yet. Just like a woman…..not sure what they want! Haha. I dream of Colors like yours…… :cool: Might need to play with the lighting some.

corey
Hi Corey,
I thank you very much for the kind words, it means a lot! I believe your observation is spot on and from my observation as well. I find a ring of about a centimeter, that appears to be the encrusting acro using sweepers to kill off algaes on its basing journey, lol. The spot of where that ring and acro touch should have a strong fluorescence, the exact same effect that is generally noticed in new tip growth. These observations are more easily noticed using a top down viewer during actinic viewing. I also agree with you on temperaments, and I believe every keeper shares similar stories. Understanding this thought, is why I try and mount on small rock rubble, this way I can experiment by moving corals about. I did this with my Fleshdunce, and it's finally waking up, looks almost the same 10 months later, like my Set For Stun, same thing.... Of course my tenuis are also growing, but SLOWLY, lol. Acro dreaming, or day dreaming is a real thing, lol, but I am just enjoying the ride my friend, finding basic concepts are yielding better results. I am learning after all, and open minded to other ideas. Humbling hobby :)

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks excellent, Perry. How do you like having the sandbed in there? Thinking about adding a shallow one to mine. Really like the mille/tenuis heavy tank. Might get into a millepora order next year.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks excellent, Perry. How do you like having the sandbed in there? Thinking about adding a shallow one to mine. Really like the mille/tenuis heavy tank. Might get into a millepora order next year.

Hey great to see you and appreciate you looking over the journal :)
I actually only have 5 tenuis, but yeah, millis are heavy for sure. Can't go wrong with millis, they are shaggy when happy, and that makes them more fun for sure. Thank you for the kind words!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@t5Nitro
My bad about the sand question!
I am overall very happy with the sand. I do siphon before water changes in the back of the tank where flow is not as strong. The sand is seafloor grade and crushed coral mix. It still moves with my wave makers on the back. The tank looks pretty cool to me with the sand scape, dictated by water movement, lol. I will get a FTS up soon to show you what I am talking about. I will try to remember to tag you :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@t5Nitro
Here is the idea of my earlier reply regarding sand. As you can see, the left front corner is bb, then a defined slope up the right side. I utilize the bare area for montis, and on the slope to right, on sand, I have several smoothies mounted on individual rocks to sort of contain the sand. There is a ton of water moving in there, lol :)
20221118_120032.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the concept of being able to move frags around to find their happy place. However, once they start encrusting- I wouldn’t want to break that formation. But I know they could be happier elsewhere possibly. Such I fine line hobby. Haha
I am super stoked to get a piece of the set to stun! Cannot wait!

corey

Back