Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry with your loss of Cindy, Perry

Kinda at a loss for words, friend

Praying for the Holy Spirit to give you comfort.

Thank you Freddie!

Yesterday was surreal, we celebrated Cindy's life, and it was an amazing event. We both grew up on the same beach approach (Granada) in Ormond Beach FL. Her celebration was in a beautiful beach front home just a half mile from our hometown spot. Cindy dreamed of dolphins since a young age, she believed that she was spiritually connected to them as well as the ocean. As I delivered my speach, a pod of dolphins were spotted playing in the waves, there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd.
The ocean has always captured my soul, which is what ultimately brought me into this hobby. Time has caught up to me, knocking on 50, lol. But... I have made a promise to myself to be back out in the water surfing again. I am hoping by Spring 2022. I need to shed a few pounds, and get back on the bike and eliptical very soon. I am a short board surfer, so being in top form is necessary, I am going for it!
Thank you so very much to my reefing friends for the love and support. This community is amazing, and so are you all :) I have been lurking, and keeping an eye on you guys, especially that crazy mari milli you got there ScottB. I will be back on track with the build soon with updates.
Cheers :)

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been on in some time and just logged on to check on my usual followed threads. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to read this when I clicked on yours. I am so sorry to hear about your loss Perry! I have no words but can only imagine. I think you are doing all the right things and you're right, it definitely sounds like she would have wanted you to continue growing this hobby. What a great way to honor her legacy.

Prayers go out to you and your family Perry!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been on in some time and just logged on to check on my usual followed threads. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to read this when I clicked on yours. I am so sorry to hear about your loss Perry! I have no words but can only imagine. I think you are doing all the right things and you're right, it definitely sounds like she would have wanted you to continue growing this hobby. What a great way to honor her legacy.

Prayers go out to you and your family Perry!
Thanks Josh!
Time heals, I am beginning to accept my reality. This weekend was a key part in moving forward and saying good bye. I am fortunate to have had the time with Cindy that I had, I am raising her middle son a my own, and get to see her in his eyes now. Life moves on, and getting my neglected tank in order is definitely keeping me busy, that, a 16 year old, and my 2 chihuahuas, and work...
Had some setbacks in the tank, will get into that in anothet post, but....
I am running my old t5 setup again, still not ready for leds, lol..
More to come :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found some healing in the celebration. I don't know why I've always dreaded these services, when in fact I always come away from them in a better place. I guess it is just facing the fear, then keeping your legs pumping, then finding the comfort in remembering all the joys big and small.

Good to hear from you again Perry and thanks for checking in (and lurking a bit) :) There is still a fair amount of infotainment bouncing around here that I find good for the soul most times.

Stay well.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found some healing in the celebration. I don't know why I've always dreaded these services, when in fact I always come away from them in a better place. I guess it is just facing the fear, then keeping your legs pumping, then finding the comfort in remembering all the joys big and small.

Good to hear from you again Perry and thanks for checking in (and lurking a bit) :) There is still a fair amount of infotainment bouncing around here that I find good for the soul most times.

Stay well.
Hi Scott!
Yes, most of these events are those in which I too dread. This was not your typical goodbye, but a few difficult moments nonetheless. I appreciate the kind words and true sentiments my friend. But, it is time to redirect the journal back to reefing. I thank you guys for the opportunity to share personal experiences, but the reefing show must go on...
More to come soon!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update on the reef:
I have been going through a tip necrosis issue. It started as 100% my fault for intensifying the UV on the Kessil A500x. I pushed the overall intensity to 70%, it seemed just fine. But when I took the UV from 65 to 75%, I started having issues. I may hold on to the Kessil, but have since put the t5 setup back into action. That said, I gave a lot of thought to my setup, and decided that my results running t5 were really good, and not having a par meter is, well in my case, pretty stupid, and if I decide to put the kessil back into use, I will do 2 of them, measure par, and much lower intensity. This plan may happen early next year.
Filtration:
I have also decided to run a clean sump. The calupera mexicana in the center chamber of the sump was quite efficient at removing nutrients, but laden detritus gathered, and after removing and measuring ph differences, .1 was my only benefit. So, my sump is clean, I run a filter sock, and am using the skimmer on dry skim. I am using Phosphate minus from AF to control phosphate, as my system went up to .34ppm as a result of pulling the fuge. I am also using bacteria and carbon source from AF too. Not to worry, my decline in PO4 is quite gradual, and measuring, likely I will discontinue, but part B to this caveat... I added a foxface and am gathering data based on it being quite efficient at hair and bubble algae removal. In just around 10 days, 60% of total bubble, and 80% of hair has been removed, again, playing some role in PO4 release. The rock is getting very clean. Sand is also quite clean.
Corals:
I have 2 corals really impacted by tip necrosis, it became worse, as I was automating minerals, and failed to take the doser offline sooner. The alk went up to 8.9 from 7.0 and the burn went to ugly on the Fox Flame(for the 3rd time) and my PC Rainbow, both impacted by the LED burn. As this happened, about 8 other random acros started necrosis at the tips, but they are all beginning to heal. No sense in clipping the tips, the foxface is nipping the algae that builds on them, lol. I am dosing KZ coral booster to aid in faster recovery. The corals definitely are not happy with my mistake, and I foresee several months of recovery to return to full form :(
All in all, I still haven't lost any corals, so all not too bad. The reef sort of took a back seat to life, as documented above, so I am simply happy to get it back on track. I will get an October FTS up soon, despite some coral decline, the tank looks pretty darn good. Anyway, time to take the reef up a notch, and start testing, water changes, and overall more consistent husbandry, thanks again to all my fellow reefer buds for being there, it really helps to keep the motivation.

Cheers,

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid update all things considered.

You can never go wrong with T5 -- as hard as one may try. The most forgiving light source you can have, although I always miss the shimmer and pop.

I have similar feelings about Foxface fish. I have 4 tanks running (just 2 water systems) and each tank has a foxface. Every 3-5 years or so, I have to swap out the overgrown ones for a juvenile size but they are worth the trouble.

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update Perry, I'm right down the road if you need anything!
Part of me is glad that you went back to T5 as I was hoping to see how that no name Acro would color under different type of light (totally selfish reason lol). Maybe you could do a T5/LED hybrid with the A500 intensity low just to add the shimmer and pop!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid update all things considered.

You can never go wrong with T5 -- as hard as one may try. The most forgiving light source you can have, although I always miss the shimmer and pop.

I have similar feelings about Foxface fish. I have 4 tanks running (just 2 water systems) and each tank has a foxface. Every 3-5 years or so, I have to swap out the overgrown ones for a juvenile size but they are worth the trouble.

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reply :)
Believe it or not, the shimmer and led spot was anything but relaxing to me, my application likely, and light spill. T5 gives a look that some, in my case prefer, whereas others complain about that look, to me it shows color contrast and more even light dispersion. For example, my blue milli has a shade spot that is now recovering, like a bald spot if you will.
I really upset some corals, the cleaning and macro removal caused a massive po4 spike, so I returned the macro algae, much less, and now using a filter sock. My sump was DIRTY and that through things off, as the return pump dusted the reef with said gunk. I am in recovery mode, and will likely lose a few pieces, but that's how things go. I will focus on basics, periodically dosing bacteria, water changes, and keeping a clean sump with Caluerpa Mexicana in center chamber. It's just so good at nutrient removal. The skimmer alone cannot keep up. 11 fish well fed, pretty happy with my bioload.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update Perry, I'm right down the road if you need anything!
Part of me is glad that you went back to T5 as I was hoping to see how that no name Acro would color under different type of light (totally selfish reason lol). Maybe you could do a T5/LED hybrid with the A500 intensity low just to add the shimmer and pop!

Thanks Nick!
I guess that I am a lifer with t5's, still cannot find a better light source at growing and coloring corals. The led bars really add some pop and umph, so I will sell, or save the Kessil for future use, probably a frag tank or something else. The smoothie is a bit harmed, but should survive, it was looking sweet, but lost about a mm of tissue at the tip. Owell, sometimes we take a step back, that's my situation, but all things considered, happy to have anything alive at this point, lol.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it's worth mentioning that the fox face has absolutely decimated my bubble algae and hair. The only problem is that rock is leaching phosphate, it was down to .14 after a 20 gallon water change, only to creep back up to .29 2 days later. I am thinking of trying lanthanum chloride, as I believe it and weekly additions of bacteria, and water changes will ultimately get things back to normal.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it's worth mentioning that the fox face has absolutely decimated my bubble algae and hair. The only problem is that rock is leaching phosphate, it was down to .14 after a 20 gallon water change, only to creep back up to .29 2 days later. I am thinking of trying lanthanum chloride, as I believe it and weekly additions of bacteria, and water changes will ultimately get things back to normal.
I prefer LC over GFO. It acts fast and you can manage PO4 with better precision. I used the Tropic Marin Elimi Phos a while back and it would (roughly) pull down .01 ppm per milliliter dosed if I recall correctly. The "pool grade" LC is too concentrated for my taste.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer LC over GFO. It acts fast and you can manage PO4 with better precision. I used the Tropic Marin Elimi Phos a while back and it would (roughly) pull down .01 ppm per milliliter dosed if I recall correctly. The "pool grade" LC is too concentrated for my taste.
Trying blue life phosphate rx, a mild dose, doing 10 gallon treatment, which apparently will lower po4 by .5ppm per 10 gallons at 6 drops. We shall see :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!!
Well, it goes without saying that 2021 was simply not a good year, but I am looking forward to 2022.
The "bommie " is now no more, I lost EVERY single acro, and sps for that matter. Just some palys, yumas, and cloves remain :(
That said, I am running my system quite basic as I all for the tank to reset itself. I am running blue only out of the Kessil A500x at very low intensity, like moonlight, just enough for the corals in there to survive. I am running uv and protein skimmer, that's it. I will do be doing steady water changes, and sometime in January begin stocking sps. My new scape came out really cool, inspired by the right side of my old 120 gallon, called the "pyramid ".
The new structure is only 22" across at the base, and is 14" deep, allowing for plenty of swimming space. The corals will all be specially chosen, based on color/contrast of color, and growth structure. Most will be classics, as I know what to expect. I will be spacing each one with no less than a 6" perimeter, as this design is for long term growth with large colonies in mind. The top will of course be milli dominant, with tenuis in the middle, and smoothies at the base.
I have recognized that the reef was always going to suffer, as I was, and now I know that I must continue with the hobby, but with a new, refreshed vision in mind. When things sort of relax and stabilize, I will snap a picture and at least share the empty canvas.
Cheers

Lazydayz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!!
Well, it goes without saying that 2021 was simply not a good year, but I am looking forward to 2022.
The "bommie " is now no more, I lost EVERY single acro, and sps for that matter. Just some palys, yumas, and cloves remain :(
That said, I am running my system quite basic as I all for the tank to reset itself. I am running blue only out of the Kessil A500x at very low intensity, like moonlight, just enough for the corals in there to survive. I am running uv and protein skimmer, that's it. I will do be doing steady water changes, and sometime in January begin stocking sps. My new scape came out really cool, inspired by the right side of my old 120 gallon, called the "pyramid ".
The new structure is only 22" across at the base, and is 14" deep, allowing for plenty of swimming space. The corals will all be specially chosen, based on color/contrast of color, and growth structure. Most will be classics, as I know what to expect. I will be spacing each one with no less than a 6" perimeter, as this design is for long term growth with large colonies in mind. The top will of course be milli dominant, with tenuis in the middle, and smoothies at the base.
I have recognized that the reef was always going to suffer, as I was, and now I know that I must continue with the hobby, but with a new, refreshed vision in mind. When things sort of relax and stabilize, I will snap a picture and at least share the empty canvas.
Cheers
Oh man sorry to hear you lost all the SPS, glad you are resetting and can't wait to see it rise from the ashes! Send me a PM when you are ready to start putting the SPS back in I'll cut you up some stuff.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!!
Cheers
Perry sorry to hear about the SPS but I love your idea going forward. I wish you all the best in 2022 my friend!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry to hear you lost all the SPS, glad you are resetting and can't wait to see it rise from the ashes! Send me a PM when you are ready to start putting the SPS back in I'll cut you up some stuff.
Hey Nick,
I will be in touch soon!
Best wishes during the Holiday season :)
Definitely need some frags, lol

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along, running basic, uv seems to have stabilized the system. The tank is about to get interesting, as I will use 2 additional kessil lamps on either side of the A500x.
The A500x is mounted at roughly 15" over water line and using 55 degree reflector to put a narrow beam on the pyramid. On either side, mounted at 9" I will run an A360we with a slight angle inwards toward the pyramid, the idea is to use kessils like and old school Japanese spotlight system. This should look really cool, and should provide more than ample par, but also reduce shadows.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back