Personal experiences with acclimating new Acros

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I wanted to get an idea of other peoples experiences when adding new Acros to their systems. In my few years of in this hobby, I've had a few notable instances where adding a new Acro suddenly started RTN'ng.

A few months ago, I got a coral order from an ebay auction; one of the Acros, started to RTN almost immediately after acclimating/dipping. But UPS had delayed the delivery so, I didn't think too much of it.

Yesterday I got a small order of sps corals (birdnest, montipora, pocillipora, acropora) from black Friday, and again, a nice piece of Strawberry shortcake, already almost completely encrusted, started RTN within a couple of hours after adding to the system. Coincidentally, another UPS order.

This RTN post acclimation only happens with online orders- is this just the name of the game, or should I take more time and care acclimating Acros? I feel like that's most likely what I'll do going forward.

What are your experiences with adding new Acros from online orders?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts and Acros: I temp acclimate and place into the tank. Depending on the coral, I may place it in a rack near the bottom of the tank for a few days, others I place immediately in their permanent homes.

Works for me.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to know when we're only talking about shipped corals. Because it removes the experience you have of acclimating corals that have not been shipped. Shipping can add more stress, and lower the success rate, but shouldn't be a huge problem.
But generally nothing should be RTNing within hours of addition.
Like @T-J above my process is 1. temp acclimate in the bag - 2. dip for pests - 3. rinse in clean water and add to the tank.
I follow this process for all additions - shipped or not. I do try to take extra care when they are shipped though, knowing that they are probably already stressed.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards acclimation being the culprit for when this happens. I also follow the same process for shipped or non-shipped.

I temp acclimate in bag with a clip holding the bag to the tank, and periodically, I'll use a syringe to add tank water to the bag. I do this for quite a bit of time, before dipping in used tank water.

I guess I'll just have to acclimate for longer and see if that changes anything on my end.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First float them for 15 minutes. Then I open bags and test Alk in bag, If the Alk is .5-1DKH off then I would give it 45 minutes before adding to the Tank water. If Alk maybe add 30 mins per 1DKH difference. Add the corals to the lowest area of the tank around 100 PAR. If corals are coming from fedex overnight I never like to dip the corals on day 1. I think the best way to ensure its survival is good flow, least amount of light possible, and give it time. Sometimes they just die since shipping stress is probably insane temp swings. Other times its just stress from begin fragged for sale. I've had better luck with corals i picked up locally for sure and would say 30% are doomed during shipping. lol

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good insights there, thanks Ashish.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have had the best luck with slow temp acclimation.
If I have time, I will sometimes dump half of the water out and slowly add tank water until the bag is full again.

From a very human standpoint....
I can definitely tell the difference jumping from a pool to a hot tub. Try it sometime. Good way to put in perspective the sudden shock of a drastic temp change. And those are temperature ranges we as humans are more or less acclimated to.

People put a lot of emphasis on alkalinity when it comes to acclimation. However, I wonder if we're not overlooking the importance of PH.
Same concept... Just imagine jumping from that swimmy pool to an acid or base.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find thing important in this order:

Quality of the tank that they are leaving
Packing and Shipping Issues
Quality of your tank
Your process to acclimate

The best process cannot overcome the corals coming from a so-so home or being left in Memphis for 3 days. If you are not 100% that the seller is on the money, then I would not spend too much time on your process. Everybody knows that if the box stays in a hub for too long to just forget about it. If your tank is barren, has algaecide in it, etc, then new frags will suffer when others might be holding on.

I temp acclimate and then into the coral QT tank. I dip later after they get settled, but I would dip they went straight into a real tank... bayer only since it is so effective and gentle. If the seller is not somebody that I trust, then they all get new frag plugs. I hardly ever lost a frag from a good seller for nearly any reason.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far my worst performance with shipped coral are from acro delayed in shipping. I’ve had RTN and death from 3 separate shipments, about 24 hours later. I temp acclimate in open bag. I don’t light acclimate but maybe I should.

I’m also starting to understand that where the coral comes from is just as important as where it’s going.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @jda about the importance of knowing your source. I know their parameters are in line with mine. I know their QT process. I know they have been alive in their systems for a log time and are proven to live well in captivity.

I temp acclimate and then place in a low light LPS tank. I rarely dip right away as I like them to recuperate a little from shipping stress. Later a potassium chloride dip (acropora only) and a replug in most cases.

OP
OP
L

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have had the best luck with slow temp acclimation.
If I have time, I will sometimes dump half of the water out and slowly add tank water until the bag is full again.
That's pretty much what I do. But I secure the bag to the tank with a clip and little by little I do temp and water acclimate at the same time. Then I dip, and put it in the tank.

Now, that I'm thinking about it- the last two times I had a frag RTN on me during introduction to my tank were orders delivered through UPS. In my area UPS doesn't get to me until about 6pm. Could that be the issue, idk, maybe, it could have played a role. I guess I'm just going to have it delivered to a UPS location when ordering with someone who uses UPS.

I'm glad more people are jumping in and giving their experiences, thanks everyone!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back