Perspiration inside of Eheim Jager heater

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this exact same heater blow and take on water, I'd used it for about 18 months. Thankfully I had just moved it to my salt mixing container bc I replaced the heaters in my reef tank. Turned it on and heard popping from within the mixing container. Definitely confirmed I was right to just replace heaters before they fail....phew. Also, though the heater is connected to GFCI I will now be also adding a grounding probe, that popping really scared me. :confused:

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the heater. That doesn't seem normal. They're cheap, just chuck it and save the heartache.

Had to laugh about this one.

Hand me down, not hammy down. :)
Haha Im glad you got the joke. I think colloquial mispronunciations are a fun/stupid use of English.

I just had this exact same heater blow and take on water, I'd used it for about 18 months. Thankfully I had just moved it to my salt mixing container bc I replaced the heaters in my reef tank. Turned it on and heard popping from within the mixing container. Definitely confirmed I was right to just replace heaters before they fail....phew. Also, though the heater is connected to GFCI I will now be also adding a grounding probe, that popping really scared me. :confused:
Did you see something like what I showed or did you see water collecting at the bottom of the heater?

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see something like what I showed or did you see water collecting at the bottom of the heater?
I didn't inspect real carefully when I moved it from my reef to the salt mixing container, but I did clean it and didn't happen to notice anything. Probably a lesson in that as well.... inspect your equipment carefully when you have it in your hands so you find any problems and know what is normal vs. abnormal

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW this is one of two 2oow heaters. The other does not have any perspiration.

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to buy neotherm heaters next.

This there any belief out there that this could release silica into the water? diatoms have popped up in the last month.

Are Neotherm heaters supposed to be high reliability? I had one of my E Jaegers show the same on the inside and replaced it ASAP...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Neotherm heaters supposed to be high reliability? I had one of my E Jaegers show the same on the inside and replaced it ASAP...

heaters are like any other consumer product. some people will have great experiences, others will not. having said that, i have always had great success with neo therm and via aqua titaniums.

and if you want to keep your heater in place check this out.

https://octoaquatics.com/octo-strong-heater-holder/

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if they are more reliable but I have seen they give a really stable temp. As long as room temp isn't above.
I have one on my 50g tank for 3 years and no issue besides one which was user error.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some condensation inside my EJ heaters. Typically i replace them on a rotating basis, so that they never exceed 3 years old. Have not had the small amount of condensation cause any problems.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same thing happen to mine a few years ago on an old tank. Ehiem told me the same thing that it was normal and nothing to worry about. I took it out and replaced it anyway. this happened after only about 2-3months or so of use

lordraptor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had several ehiem heaters do this and what makes it so bad is that eheim is suppose to produce good quality heaters, well i dont think a heater is very good quality if it gets prcipitation in it after only 2 months max ( yep 3 of my eheim heaters did this in just 2 months, 1 managed to make is 2.5 months rest all got precipitation in them in under a month. i would have done better saving money and buying a marineland heater

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen any glass heater not do this. Pretty sure between QT tanks, and FW tanks over the last 30 years I've use just about every brand of heater on the market. Every, and I mean every single glass heater I've used, eventually got the moisture in the glass. I have no idea why or how, but it in no effected the heating of the unit.

Put them on a shelve to use another day, and the condensation goes away. Never had an issue in using them again.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple do this. If you see water in the bottom, trash it. Otherwise, mine haven’t caused any issues.

30A07F3F-1519-42EE-8DCE-1032D03CB106.jpeg

Nachopapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would putting my hand in the tank ground me? I have not felt any electricity.
Yes, but only if you are not wearing shoes/sneakers/insulated footwear. I had to diagnose a volt leaking return pump on my wife’s tank last week. Took off shoes and unplugged equipment one at a time until I didn’t feel *zapped* in my fingers (small cut in a cuticle hurts like hell and is the best volt detection on the planet)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back